John Henry Blase (1828-1885)
John Henry Blase was born June 28, 1828 in Hanover, Germany, the son of Gerhard and Catherine Blase. When he was eight years old, the family moved from the Kingdom of Hanover to the nearby Minden township area. He had three brothers and one sister.
On May 3, 1849 the ship “Rebecca” arrived at the port of Baltimore, Maryland. John Henry Blase, known more commonly as Henry, was on his way to St. Louis to meet with his married sister Clara. He lived in St. Louis, and worked as a cooper.
About 1854, Henry and his new wife Lizzie bought passage on a steamboat and moved to Minnesota Territory. He homesteaded and farmed with his brothers Gerhardt and Ernst F. Blase on land that they bought from the Federal Government.
In 1862, Henry’s brother Ernst F. Blase enlisted in the 6th Minnesota Infantry. [See the 6th Minnesota Infantry section] However, it wasn’t’ until March of 1865 that thirty-six-year-old Henry enlisted as a Private in the 1st Minnesota Infantry regiment, now reorganized and renamed the First Battalion Minnesota Infantry Volunteers. The regiment was back in Minnesota to replenish its ranks depleted from casualties, sickness and vacancies from the termination of three-year soldier enlistments.
On March 14th, 1865, John Henry Blase was sworn in and assigned to Company D, under the Battalion Command of Lieutenant Colonel Mark W. Downie and Company Command of Captain Thomas Whetstone, respectively. Of the companies formed that month, Company C deployed first and was assigned to the Second Corps, Second Division in Virginia. They took part in the final assaults of war and engaged in battle until the Rebel surrender at Appomattox.
Henry’s Company D deployed later and linked up with their battalion at Appomattox, Virginia. The battalion was engaged in picket duty rounding up the captured Southerners who had just surrendered.
On May 23, 1865, John Henry marched in the two-day Grand Review Parade in Washington, DC to celebrate the victory of the Civil War. They marched from the Capitol to the White House within the ranks of 150,000 other proud soldiers. Soon afterwards, they were assigned to the Army of the Tennessee but before long, they were sent home to Minnesota. On July 14, 1865, John Henry Blase earned an honorable discharge at Fort Snelling, Minnesota.
John Henry Blase lived the remainder of his life as a farmer. He was an active member of his church and community. He was a dedicated family man and devout in his faith. He had a large family of 13 children.
Unfortunately, John Henry did not live to be an old man. On January 6, 1885, at age 57, he died of blood poisoning. Unfortunately, later that year, his wife Lizzie and son John died of Tuberculosis. It turned the whole family upside down because there were several small children that they left behind.
(Photo of John Henry BLASE are in the possession of Jean Weddle)
Descendants of John Henry Blase
Generation No. 1
1. John Henry5 Blase (Gerhard Wilhelm Friedrich4, Johan Friedrich3, Johan Gerhard2 Blasen, Johan Heinrich1) was born Bet. 28 - 29 Jun 1828 in Wimmer, Hanover, Germany (Prussia), and died 06 Jan 1885 in MN, Dakota Co., West St. Paul (Physically died in St. Paul?). He married Anna Elizabeth Brunner 29 May 1853 in St. Louis, St. Louis Co., Missouri (Salem Methodist Episcopal Church), daughter of Francois Brunner and Magdeleine Fridlin. She was born 03 Apr 1835 in Covington or Maysville, Kentucky, and died 13 Aug 1885 in Inver Grove, Dakota Co., MN.
Children of John Blase and Anna Brunner are:
2 i. John Ernst Henry6 Blase, born Bet. 1854 - 1855 in St. Louis, MO.
3 ii. August Herman Blase, born 24 May 1857 in West St. Paul, (Inver Grove twp.), Dakota Co., MN; died 30 Aug 1892 in Inver Grove, Dakota Co., MN (or 30 Sept. ). He married Anna Marie Kernkamp 03 Oct 1883 in West St. Paul, Dakota Co., MN; born 29 Feb in Woodbury, Washington Co., MN; died Bet. 15 - 18 Sep 1940 in St. Paul, Ramsey Co., MN.
4 iii. Lydia Louise Blase, born 25 Jan 1858 in West St. Paul, (Inver Grove twp)., Dakota Co., MN (may be 1859); died 28 Mar 1931 in Alexandria, Douglas Co., MN. She married John Ludwig Kernkamp 10 Dec 1884 in Inver Grove Township, Dakota Co., MN; born 11 Apr 1852; died 25 Sep 1934.
5 iv. Elizabeth Faletha Blase, born 1861 in West St. Paul, (Inver Grove Twp.), Dakota Co., MN; died Abt. 1861 in Crib death.
6 v. John William Blase, born Jun 1863 in West St. Paul, (Inver Grove Twp.), Dakota Co., MN; died 02 Jun 1885 in West St. Paul, (Inver Grove Twp.), Dakota Co., MN.
7 vi. Henrietta Harriet Kathryn Blase, born 21 Apr 1865 in West St. Paul, (Inver Grove Twp.), Dakota Co., MN; died 11 Feb 1951 in St. Paul, Ramsey Co., MN (May be 13th of Feb.). She married Frederick John Buechner 08 Sep 1886 in St. Paul, Ramsey County, MN; born 19 Apr 1862 in Racine, Racine Co., WI; died 27 May 1902 in St. Paul, Ramsey County, MN.
8 vii. Ella Clementine Blase, born 24 May 1867 in West St. Paul, (Inver Grove Twp.) , Dakota Co., MN; died 11 Mar 1947 in St. Paul, Ramsey Co., MN. She married Andrew Ross 24 Nov 1890.
9 viii. Emma Helezena Blase, born 03 Dec 1869 in West St. Paul, (Inver Grove Twp.), Dakota Co., MN; died 10 Jul 1948 in Inver Grove Heights, Dakota Co., MN. She married Emanual Daniel Schneider 1893; born Mar 1865; died Aft. 1900.
10 ix. Hannah Blase, born 16 Sep 1871 in West St. Paul, (Inver Grove Twp.), Dakota Co., MN; died 19 Oct 1939 in Inver Grove Heights, Dakota Co., MN. She married Adolph Wille 20 Nov 1890; born Mar 1860 in Minnesota.
11 x. Ernst Fredrick Blase, born 24 Jul 1873 in West St. Paul, (Inver Grove Twp.), Dakota Co., MN; died 28 Feb 1957 in Inver Grove Heights, Dakota Co., MN (May be 3-4-1957). He married Martha Kurrelmeier 26 Mar 1912.
12 xi. Anna Christina Blase, born 24 Oct 1875 in West St. Paul, (Inver Grove Twp.), Dakota Co., MN; died 31 Aug 1970 in Richmond, Wayne co., Indiana. She married George Wilford Gault 15 Jul 1913; died Abt. 1923.
13 xii. Andrew A. Blase, born 06 Aug 1878 in West St. Paul, (Inver Grove Twp.), Dakota Co., MN; died 18 Nov 1950 in Inver Grove, Dakota Co., MN.
14 xiii. Clara Theresia Blase, born 10 Apr 1882 in West St. Paul, ( Inver Grove Twp.), Dakota Co., MN; died 1938 in Oslo, Norway (possibly 1 Nov.). She married Fran Eyvin Ovrum 1908.
· Neill, Rev. Edward D. / Williams, J. Fletcher (1881), History of Dakota County & the City of Hastings Including the Explorers & Pioneers of MN, (County History, Dakota Co., MN), Minneapolis MN, North Star Publishing Co, 1881.
· Curtiss-Wedge, Franklyn, Editor-In-Chief, History of Dakota and Goodhue Counties Minnesota, (Publishers: H.C. Cooper, Jr. & Co. 1910).
· Mitchell, W.H., Dakota County, Its Past and Present, Geographical, Statistical and Historical, Together with A General View of the State, [Tribune Printing Company, MPLS, (1868)].
· Bourquin, F. (Printed by), Maps: Plat 1879, Dakota County, Minnesota, (Warner & Foote, 251 Nicollet Avenue, Minneapolis, MN & 27 So. Sixth St., Philadelphia, PA), ''map,'' Warner & Foote 1879 Plat map; section 32, near Dickman Lake.
· Death, MN, Dakota County, Death Register 1; page 99; Line No. 13; January 6, 1885; Dakota County Vital Records Office, Dakota County Clerk, 1560 Highway 55 West, Hastings, MN 55033 – 2343.
· Census, Soundex, 1880, Minnesota, Ramsey Co.; John Henry BLASE & family, Vol. 3, ED 192, Sheet 18, Line 15.
· Census, Minnesota State Territorial, 1857, Micro Copy #T-1175, Township 27, Range 22, Twp 27, R.22.
· VITAL RECORDS: GERMANY.
· Census - 1880, Tenth Census of the United States. T9. 1,454 rolls., 1880 Soundex code: B420; Vol. 3, ED 192, sheet 18, line 15 on soundex card..
· Census, Federal 1860, Minnesota, Dakot., West St. Paul, pg 22; 12 June 1860; Dwelling #199; fam. No. 178.
· Census, Minnesota State Territorial, 1857, T-1175, Township #28, enumerated Oct 9, 1857; Micro roll #1.
· St. Louis county, Missouri, Marriage, BLASE - BRUNER, Marriage Record Book No. 6, page 138; City of St. Louis, St. Louis County, Vital Records Office.
· Minnesota. Office of the Adjutant General, Military Service Record Cards, [ca.1860]-[ca.1945] [microform]., (Saint Paul, MN: Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs, 1971), Adjutant General Pension Register, Vol. L., page 65.
· National Archives, United States, Washington, DC, ''Civil War Pension Records - BLASE, John Henry,''.
· Clerk of District Court for Dakota County, Death, BLASE, Elizabeth A. (1835 - 1885).
· Census, Minnesota State Territorial, 1857, T-1175, Roll #1, Township #28.
· State of Minnesota, Military Records - BLASE, John Henry (1828-1885), (DC - Civil War Military and Pension records), Affadavit by Magdalena (Bruner) Schuster.
· Correspondence, (Kernkamp) JOHNSON, Ruth (1896 - ).
· Anna Christine BLASE GAULT, Correspondence, GAULT, Anna Christina (1875 - 1970), (1960s - 1970).
· Clerk of District Court for Dakota County, Death, BLASE, John W. (1863 - 1885), Death Register 1, Page 99, Line No. 15.
· Death, BUECHNER, Henrietta Harriet (1865 - 1951), St. Paul, Ramsey Co., MN, Certificate No. 447.
· Census, Federal 1880, Minnesota, Ramsey Co., St. Paul.
· Bourquin, F. (Printed by), Maps: Plat 1879, Dakota County, Minnesota, (Warner & Foote, 251 Nicollet Avenue, Minneapolis, MN & 27 So. Sixth St., Philadelphia, PA), ''map,'' Warner & Foote, 1879 Dakota Co., MN Plat map, Section 32, West St. Paul.
· Correspondence, BLASE, Roland Roy (1887 - 1979) ''Jumbo'', (1960s & 1970s).
· Correspondence, BUTLER, Anna Laura Butler (1901- 1991), (1980 - 1991).
· Census, Soundex, 1880, Minnesota, Ramsey Co.; John Henry BLASE & family.
· State of Minnesota, Military Records - BLASE, John Henry (1828-1885), (DC - Civil War Military and Pension records), Declaration for children under 16 yrs or Age'', form dated 22 April 1891.