MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

Civil War - General

Grant forced first three Confederate armies to surrender?
8/16/2022 6:41:59 PM
I read somewhere that Grant was the general who forced the first three Confederate armies to surrender (this obviously means more than just defeating a Confederate army in battle and making them withdraw)--Ft. Donelson, VIcksburg, and of course Appomattox (of course other armies surrendered after Lee's did).

Is this true? Can anyone think of other Confederate armies that surrendered to other generals, before Lee at Appomattox?
Phil Andrade
London  UK
8/17/2022 2:17:30 AM
The surrender of the garrison of Port Hudson to General Banks .

Regards, Phil
----------------------------------
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
mikecmaps
CAMARILLO CA USA
8/17/2022 11:59:58 AM

Group,

Arkansas Post Jan 11 1863. Technically Maj.-Gen. John A. McClernand. But yes under grant. But grant disapproved of the campaign and McClernand under his own authority successfully attacked and captured the entire Rebel force of 1000 men (At the mouth of Arkansas river). This while Grant still groping for a way to get at Vicksburg.

Thanks, Mike_C
mikecmaps
Phil Andrade
London  UK
8/17/2022 12:25:47 PM
Several thousand surrendered to John Pope at Island Number 10, almost simultaneously with the Battle of Shiloh.

Regards, Phil
----------------------------------
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
prr

8/17/2022 12:27:04 PM
So what the person who stated the above quote (about the first 3 armies surrendering) would have meant, would still be true--as a garrison of 1000 wouldn't be an entire army.

Quote:

Group,

Arkansas Post Jan 11 1863. Technically Maj.-Gen. John A. McClernand. But yes under grant. But grant disapproved of the campaign and McClernand under his own authority successfully attacked and captured the entire Rebel force of 1000 men (At the mouth of Arkansas river). This while Grant still groping for a way to get at Vicksburg.

Thanks, Mike_C
mikecmaps

© 2022 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC