MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

Civil War - General
Ohio OH USA
Negotiations to end the US Civil War?
6/23/2021 10:47:22 PM
In the Lincoln movie at one point they said negotiators were coming from the South to offer to end the war and rejoin the Union if they could keep slavery.

I have never heard that. Is it pure Hollywood?

Was there ever any attempt to negotiate an end to the war?

----------------------------------
Withdrawal in disgust is not the same as apathy.
Gregory C. White
Canton GA USA
6/23/2021 11:16:01 PM
Quote:
In the Lincoln movie at one point they said negotiators were coming from the South to offer to end the war and rejoin the Union if they could keep slavery.

I have never heard that. Is it puts Hollywood?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hampton_Roads_Conference
“Any society which suppresses the heritage of its conquered minorities, prevent their history, and denies them their symbols, has sown the seeds of its destruction.” Sir William Wallace, 1280 A.D.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
6/24/2021 11:00:50 AM
Quote:
Quote:

I have never heard that. Is it puts Hollywood?

[Read More]

Hi Greg,

I didn't realize the Hampton Roads Conference was serious? The Lincoln Administration was against such talks because it led to people thinking he recognized the Confederate as a viable country!?

But perhaps he did?
What say you? Anyone?
MD
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Gregory C. White
Canton GA USA
6/24/2021 12:09:35 PM
I think the effort was to prevent further bloodshed on both sides. At this point the Confederacy was
collapsing on all fronts, but was still holding out for something. Independence was futile.

Lincoln's pre-war friendship with Alexander H. Stephens probably had much to do with the meeting.

Greg
“Any society which suppresses the heritage of its conquered minorities, prevent their history, and denies them their symbols, has sown the seeds of its destruction.” Sir William Wallace, 1280 A.D.
17thfabn
Ohio OH USA
6/27/2021 5:35:13 PM
Thanks for the info !

It looks like the peace conference was real from the info you all provided, but the time line is off from the movie and real life.
Gregory C. White
Canton GA USA
6/27/2021 6:07:22 PM
Quote:
Thanks for the info !

It looks like the peace conference was real from the info you all provided, but the time line is off from the movie and real life.

How so? The movie focused on the last month's of Lincoln's life, which the Hampton Roads peace conference was included.
17thfabn
Ohio OH USA
6/27/2021 6:53:07 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the info !

How so? The movie focused on the last month's of Lincoln's life, which the Hampton Roads peace conference was included.

The movie makes it appear that the peace conference was going to happen before congress approved the 13th amendment and if there were southern negotiators that made keeping slavery the price for peace the 13th amendment would not have passed.

Actual time line:

April 8th 1864 the U.S. Senate Approves the 13th amendment

January 31st 1865 the U.S. House of Representatives passes the 13th amendment February 3rd 1865 the Hampton Roads Conference occurred. If I remember correctly the movie indicated that southern negotiators were in D.C. before congressional passage of the 13th amendment. In fact they were not in D.C. but in the Hampton Roads area.

I'm not trying to nitpick. I loved the Lincoln movie. Daniel Day Lewis sounded and carried himself exactly how I always thought the real Lincoln would appear. As good as the movie was the book "Team of Rivals" by Doris Kearns Goodwin was even better! Well worth the 944 pages.

© 2022 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC