MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

Civil War - General
Canton GA USA
Proposed legislation to Outlaw Secession ?
5/20/2021 12:02:24 PM
I recently read on a blog that in the final days of the Buchanan administration, just before Lincoln's
inaugural in March 1861, that there were 3 bills introduced in the U.S. Congress to "outlaw secession."

Is this true?

Can anyone elaborate or direct me to source material ?

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Greg C. White
----------------------------------
“Any society which suppresses the heritage of its conquered minorities, prevent their history, and denies them their symbols, has sown the seeds of its destruction.” Sir William Wallace, 1280 A.D.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
5/25/2021 8:48:23 AM
Hi Greg,

It’s definitely true, that attempts were made to head off Secession! But cooler heads did not prevail!

Sad!
Regards,
Dave

BTW I’ll try to get back to you on some specifics later!?
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Gregory C. White
Canton GA USA
5/26/2021 12:14:28 AM
Quote:
Hi Greg,

It’s definitely true, that attempts were made to head off Secession! But cooler heads did not prevail!

Sad!
Regards,
Dave

BTW I’ll try to get back to you on some specifics later!?

I'm curious to learn who the members of Congress were that made the proposals before Lincoln took office in March 1861.

Of course, by then, seven of the horses were already out the barn, so to speak, with four more states to secede once
Lincoln raised an army to send south.

If members of Congress were proposing to outlaw secession, I thought the prevailing feeling in the Union was that it was illegal anyway.

I thought these times were strange!

Best Regards,

Greg C. White
“Any society which suppresses the heritage of its conquered minorities, prevent their history, and denies them their symbols, has sown the seeds of its destruction.” Sir William Wallace, 1280 A.D.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
5/26/2021 9:09:12 AM
Hey Greg,

Good question, how could a Union state have a Confederate statue? Well actually a Confederate soldier is in a combination statue, that contains a Union soldier, with a slave between the 2 of them. Representing the North South fight over slavery! Still it seems to be enough to cause its removal!?

Dave
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
julia2234
Secaucus, New Jersey UT USA
6/15/2021 1:20:17 AM
The Corwin Amendment is a proposed change to the United States Constitution that would protect "homegrown organizations" of the states from the government-established revision measure and from annulment or obstruction by Congress.
https://asvabadvantage.com/
https://asvabadvantage.com/

© 2022 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC