MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

(2000-Pres) Current Day Military talk (No Partisan Politics)
Victoria BC Canada
All the news that’s fit to print?
11/12/2021 7:35:50 PM
This headline noted today in the UK’s “Independent”: “Britain sends troops to Poland border as migrant crisis deepens”. Well, thought I – 82 years, 2months and 9 days late, but they made it! I mean, that’s a pretty dramatic headline for the “Independent”, IMHO.

Seems it’s only the headline that can be considered dramatic. The talk is of sending 10 military engineering troops to the border area with Belorus.

[Read More]

Is there something about this I’m missing? Is there significance in Boris sending 10 Tommies to Poland? Is this meant to reflect the new Global Britain?

Maybe I’m just feeling a bit off after our Day of Remembrance.

Cheers. And stay safe.
Brian G

----------------------------------
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly. "The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.
vpatrick
MA MA USA
11/13/2021 5:13:50 PM
Hi Brian,

Well you have to look at the bright side at least this British expeditionary force will not need a Dunkirk like evacuation if things go sideways, maybe just a big helicopter back to France will do. The news media is in the business of big headlines small stories to get us to click on them and read them. I find myself getting my news clarifications on Podcasts these days after reading so much click bait. I look for podcasts that are as neutral as possible a good one is "‎Breaking Points with Krystal and Saagar" you can find them on spotify which is free. I dont agree with everything they say but I find their analysis of the news refreshing and honest which is all I ask. One thing I like about their podcast is that Krystal is a liberal and Saagar is a conservative and they actually have an adult nuanced conversation about the major issues in US and world news or at least how world news affects the US. No bomb throwing just two folks that respect each others view points and have a conversation about the news. "Breaking Points" may not be to your liking since its US orientated not alot of talk of Canadian national news but maybe there is something similar in Canada?

I think more and more people are finding unconventional news sources to help them get through the destruction and disinformation of current day journalistic practices. By the way what caught my eye about your post was I was reading an article about how editors change the headline of journalist's stories to make them more clickable on the internet. So if your story about the Brits going to the Polish border read "10 British Engineers to the Polish Border" nobody would click on it, but if you say "Britain Sends Troops to the Polish Border" 10 million more clicks, and more attention and more money. Independent news sources seem the way to go these days but I think if we listen to them they must also challenge our belief system and not echo what we want to hear because there are many podcasts that do that . To listen for 2hrs about how my side is the best is easy you can just watch CNN or Fox.

vpatrick
nuts
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
11/13/2021 7:39:23 PM
VP, haven’t had a chance to chat with you for some time. Hope all is well.

I like a lot of what you say, and agree to a large extent. I’m also finding that, wherever I look in traditional media, I am finding increasing bias even when discussing topics which are almost impossible to feel biased about.

I do have a couple of great sources for sound podcasts: one of my daughters lives in Canada, and listens to a range of podcasts as she spends up to two hours per day on the road. Another of my daughters, living in the US, manages a team in Lithuania, so gets lots of listening ideas from Europe as well as from the US.

Most of my news and information comes off the web, but from a variety of US, CDN, British and other broadcasters. I tend not to accept any news provided by social media sources until I find supporting information. My step-son was providing feed to a US source during your last major election. He has no qualifications to do so except his own native intelligence, and that simply ain’t good enough. Yet he was referred to as “our west coast Canadian correspondent.” He wasn’t offering news or assessment, but mere gossip.

My TV has not been working since late 2019, so I’m spared the agony of watching the wretched coverage that was available last time I watched. About the only exceptions to that are when extraordinary events occur. I watched events as they unfolded on Jan 6, e.g., relying primarily on Washington Post live coverage but switching to BBC and CBC coverage as well.

As to “heads”, of course the job of the writers is to make stories tempting. Most of them also just love playing with the language. Two of my favourites are: (from late 1930s Britain, and meant to mock), “Fog in Channel. Continent Isolated”. The second is that classic from the US in the lead-up to the US incursion in Iraq. Hans Blix, the weapons auditor for the UN, had reported finding no WMDs in Hussein’s Iraq, and suggesting there were avenues to monitor any Iraqi excesses. His findings were rejected in one of the mid-west states, leading to this: “Hicks Nix Blix Fix!” Gotta say, those are both great bits of language usage!

Cheers. And stay safe.
Brian G
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly. "The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.

© 2022 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC