MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

(2000-Pres) Current Day Military talk (No Partisan Politics)
Victoria BC Canada
Things that go bump in the night …
10/10/2021 10:04:57 PM
… and what that might mean.

Seems a few days ago, the USS Connecticut (I believe) collided with an unknown object somewhere out there. It was not announced for a day or two for “security” reasons, which makes sense.

This is how the BBC describes it on their website: “A US nuclear submarine hit an "unknown object" while submerged in waters in the Asia-Pacific region, injuring a number of sailors, US officials say.

It was not clear what caused the incident on Saturday, they said. The submarine remained "fully operational".

Unnamed officials told US media the collision happened in international waters in the South China Sea, and that 11 sailors had been injured.

The incident happened amid rising tensions in the region.

The US Navy said the extent of the damage was still being assessed and that the submarine's nuclear propulsion plant and spaces had not been affected.

The statement did not give details about where the incident took place or the number of people hurt, saying only that the injuries were not "life threatening".”

Gee. I wonder what a boomer (I’m assuming the Connecticut is Ohio-class) is doing “in international waters … in the Asia-Pacific region”, aka “the South China Sea”? I mean – gosh! – am I going to remember how to spell Matsu and Quemoy again.

All mockery aside, I’m not just wondering what the USS Connecticut struck that was so impactful 11 crewmen received moderate injuries. I’m wondering how accurate on-site evaluation of the impact might be.

Yes, at least some note has been made in the media of the rising tensions between PR and Taiwan. And – for good or ill – US military presence in the region can be assumed.

But of course this brings more “stuff” to the fore. I’m wondering about co-ordination between USS Connecticut and other US assets in the region, as PRC extend intrusive flights near Taiwan. And I wonder about similar intrusive flights and actions by Russian forces across the Nordkapp area and out as far as Spitsbergen, and whether we might be looking at a combined effort by old foes to pressure the West further.

Lots of stuff being undercovered by media right now, or is that just me misreading between the lines?

Cheers. And stay safe.
Brian G.
----------------------------------
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly. "The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
11/5/2021 9:20:13 PM
So, I think I read today that certain officers of Connecticut have been disciplined for whatever happened somewhere “in international waters” off China.

Bets are that PRC, Taiwan, Japan and the US (not to mention Russia) could all tell us within 50 meters where this occurred. But for “national security” reasons, of course, where it was and what it hit will not be released to the public. Who, I thought, were paying for this kind of thing!

Not my navy; not my money. But if we’re talking Ohio-class, that single boat has enough fire power to destroy every major city in Canada (or every major population centre in the US from the west coast to Nebraska). I sense we should know what the hell went on, and what mistakes were made by the guys driving the boat. Fer instance, is their understanding of launch protocol on a par with their skills at navigation!

Cheers. And stay safe.
Brian G
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly. "The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.
DT509er
Santa Rosa CA USA
11/16/2021 12:57:59 PM
Follow up on this incident:

[Read More]

[Read More]

"American parachutists-devils in baggy pants..." “If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.” Lord Ernest Rutherford
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
11/16/2021 7:04:34 PM
Thanks for those two links, DT. Explains a lot.

Cheers. And stay safe.
Brian G

© 2021 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC