MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

(2000-Pres) Current Day Military talk (No Partisan Politics)
Victoria BC Canada
Norwegian naval news
3/24/2021 9:04:12 PM
The Barent Sea Observer offers the following, which might not be all that big a deal, though I’ve seldom seen such a public release offering so little information.

Beyond the obvious commitment Norway is making at some rather sobering cost, I was taken by some random associations which came to mind as I read this article:
• German-made/designed subs still get the prefix “U-“. In WW2, the numbers were VII and XI, I believe; not they are in the 200s. Variants are variants, of course!
• IIUC from what I’ve noted recently, this suggests that one of these ordered subs will cost about what a single F-35 price tag has risen to. Yikes!
• given the photo accompanying the article, and thinking of Norway’s coastline, I hope these four boats come with “bitchin’ good” navigation systems.

Cheers. And stay safe.
Brian G
----------------------------------
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly. "The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.
kaii
Oslo  
Norwegian naval news
3/26/2021 6:41:31 PM
Is it just me or did you forget to include the link here Brian?

I am guessing the link refers to the decision (finally!)to order four new subs in a joint project with Germany (?). The U212CD class will be a beast and a very nasty opponent for any surface vessel.
Just wish Norway could order the amount we actually need (minimum six, ideally 8 or 10), but four is a start I guess.

K

----------------------------------
“My dear boy, as long as you don’t invade Afghanistan you’ll be absolutely fine.” - Harold Macmillan to Alec Douglas-Home upon the latter taking over as PM.

© 2021 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC