MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

(2000-Pres) Current Day Military talk (No Partisan Politics)
Oslo  
Nashville bombing
12/27/2020 8:02:30 PM
I haven't seen a thread on this yet, so I thought I'd start one.

I believe the police have now confirmed the man behind the bombing as an Andrew Warner, a 63 year old man. Nothing on his motives etc yet, but I suppose we will find out more in the next few days.

I found it quite remarkable how little attention this bombing got, both on here and in media/Social media in general. Normally there would be wild speculation as to who was behind it, and the usual suspects would be hauled out and blamed in turn. I have a gut feeling everyone knew this was a domestic attack, and that everyone was secretly hoping it was not one of "theirs" that had done it. The modus operandi suggested early on that it was not an islamic attack, so very much pointed to a domestic attack early on, in my opinion. Was it political though, or "just" some guy with a grudge against AT&T?

As with any terror attack, there is no one else to blame than the perpetrator himself, and anyone that may have supported and aided him in the deed.

Thoughts on this event?

K
----------------------------------
“My dear boy, as long as you don’t invade Afghanistan you’ll be absolutely fine.” - Harold Macmillan to Alec Douglas-Home upon the latter taking over as PM.
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
Nashville bombing
12/27/2020 9:20:05 PM
Kai, some good points on an issue that has received little attention. You actually seem to have more data/info than I do, but I haven’ checked it in the past 10 hours.

Personally I find this one of the more complex actions the US has had in years. To date, at least, no sense of grievance and no admission of responsibility. Given the warnings and the broadcasts, it’s hard to argue that this is domestic terrorism. Hell, there is an attempt to keep people from harm! With the ongoing lack of information, there’s no strong link suggesting AT&T was a target. And so far, there is no indication of a Christian rite issue.

I guess that blame must be assigned in such instances, because … what the hell! … this “event/thing/abomination” happened.

We’re apparently getting more information concerning what happened and who caused it to happen. So far, IMHO, there is not enough info that might allow those following the event to determine what the hell this is all about.

Cheers. And stay safe.
Brian G
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly. "The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.
George
Centre Hastings ON Canada
Nashville bombing
12/28/2020 7:58:10 AM
My initial thought was that this explosion was an attack by those who continue to dispute the results of the election. I felt that it could be a domestic terrorist act by a disgruntled Trump supporter. The last few weeks since the election of Biden have been fraught with angst exacerbated by implied threats of violence at the inauguration.

And so, my gut reaction was, "omigod, it's started". Not sure what "it" is but I sense that the structures that support democracy are under attack in the US and I do not know how secure the underpinnings of those structures are right now.

Undoubtedly some will scoff at my reaction which could appear to be a "chicken little" response but that is how I felt.

And now I await to hear from the Nashville police as to what motivated this person to take his life.

Cheers,

George
Phil Andrade
London  UK
Nashville bombing
12/28/2020 8:45:05 AM
Some horrible domestic incidents have grabbed the headlines recently.

One such occurred in Central France in the last week or so, resulting in the deaths of three policemen/women who attempted to prevent a man from killing his own family. The man then killed himself. Apologies if I've got that wrong ; but that's my understanding.

Might this Nashville episode be something similar ?

I'm sure that the impact of Covid constraints has greatly increased the incidence of such foul play.

Regards, Phil

"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
kaii
Oslo  
Nashville bombing
12/28/2020 1:19:07 PM
Quote:
Some horrible domestic incidents have grabbed the headlines recently.

One such occurred in Central France in the last week or so, resulting in the deaths of three policemen/women who attempted to prevent a man from killing his own family. The man then killed himself. Apologies if I've got that wrong ; but that's my understanding.

Might this Nashville episode be something similar ?

I'm sure that the impact of Covid constraints has greatly increased the incidence of such foul play.

Regards, Phil

I believe you are correct about the incident in France, Phil. And you are quite right that the current situation with lock downs all over the world has increased the occurrence of violence, both targeted (i.e. family) and random. Trevor can probably confirm, but I believe there was a knife attack in Berlin a few days ago.

If I understand correctly, there has been a second incident no, where another RUV playing the same message has been stopped somewhere in rural country outside Nashville.

K

“My dear boy, as long as you don’t invade Afghanistan you’ll be absolutely fine.” - Harold Macmillan to Alec Douglas-Home upon the latter taking over as PM.
DT509er
Santa Rosa CA USA
Nashville bombing
12/28/2020 2:45:32 PM
This man, if it actually plays out as he being the perpetrator and only known death in this bombing, is a clear indication of how those who commit suicide lay an impact on others with no real care and, how the individual has become in this world on a grander scale with 24- hour news, social media use and manipulation, ‘look at me, I matter’.., BOOM!

Truly a pathetic moment in this persons life and we are better off without such ego maniacs.
"American parachutists-devils in baggy pants..." “If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.” Lord Ernest Rutherford
morris crumley
Dunwoody GA USA
Nashville bombing
12/28/2020 8:06:37 PM
From very early Christmas morning, we learned via the "news" that police said a loudspeaker was blaring out a warning that a bomb was going to explode.

Terrorists, who`s purpose is to kill and maim to achieve some ideological purpose...don`t warn authorities and citizens of an impending bomb blast. It did not seem to fit that this was a terrorist attack...such as we have grown too accustomed to. It is still an act of terror in a sense...but I think most people perceived that it was a lone wolf act..with no serious injury or death....so not much of a obsession over the incident.

It was nice to see police officers being treated with some respect for the job they did, to warn off and evacuate people from the area....putting their own lives at risk.

A bigger story to us, here in Atlanta, was yet another little black girl being killed by a stray bullet, fired by young black males who got into an argument at Phipps Plaza. Violent crime and murder is skyrocketing here in the wake of the BLM bullshit of this past summer...where officers have left the force in droves...and where the true terror is on our streets every day. But..we aren`t supposed to talk about that.

I agree with Dan, about being better off without this bomber-trash. 7-year-old Kennedy Maxie was shot in the head, last Monday, while riding in her parents car near Phipps Plaza as they were Christmas shopping. She died the day after Christmas.

"You are a $70, red-wool, pure quill military genius, or the biggest damn fool in northern Mexico."
Brian Grafton
Victoria BC Canada
Nashville bombing
12/29/2020 10:23:27 PM
Morris and Dan, I agree with you that this is not an act of terror. Thank God for that. I don’t know whether this man’s choice of death by explosion indicates egotism, or even egoism. It does scream of a man who wanted to have his death noticed. There had to be a lot of rage somewhere against something that was damaged. Poor bugger. Whether he deserves “bomber-trash” as an epithet is, IMHO, a different matter.

From what I’ve seen – probably not nearly the coverage available in the US – the various forces (police, fire, EMS, etc.) in Nashville did a great job, particularly at the beginning when under incredible stress. All plaudits to them.

Cheers. And stay safe.
Brian G.
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly. "The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.

© 2021 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC