MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:    Password:

(1800-1915) Pre-WWI
Author
Reading
PA USA
5th US Infantry Reg.
Posted on: 2/15/2020 11:04:34 PM

I was looking at the different PA regiments of the War of 1812 and in the past have found a lot of information on the 22nd, a little on the 16th, but never any from the actual war about the 5th . Does anyone remember seeing the 5th in any order of battle, any information, or anything like that? Multiple sources say different things. All of them say it was reorganized from the 4th, 9th, 13th, 21st, 40th, and 46th into the 5th after the war. However this website (https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/United_States_War_of_1812_Infantry_Units) lists the 5th Infantry as being recruited in Pennsylvania, leading me to believe it existed before the reorganization to 8 reg's in 1815. Does anyone have any info on what exactly happened to the 5th infantry before 1815? (And not the current reg's ancestry, the actual 5th from 1812-1815.)
----------------------------------
"Those are regulars, by god!" -Not Phineas Riall, in reference to not Winfield Scott's Brigade
AustinG
Reading
PA USA
5th US Infantry Reg. Update
Posted on: 2/17/2020 10:37:08 PM

This paper
https://journals.psu.edu/phj/article/download/24521/24290
also states (after mentioning the 22nd), "It is a little known fact that Pennsylvania also contributed two other infantry regiments to the military establishment..." Two others? That would most likely mean the 22nd, the 16th, and the 5th all existed. Three other regiments are listed as "...and Pennsylvania" or "...or Pennsylvania". The 6th, 42nd, and 32nd. I don't know how an entire regimental origin can be up to interpretation, such as the 6th, but I guess I can't find if the fifth even existed at the time, so I guess it's fine. It is hard to check the sources because all of them are books I would need to pay for, and that isn't what I can do right now.

I did though find a record of a Sargent Samuel Cochran, of the 5th Infantry Regiment, seeking a land bounty for service in the War of 1812, so it did exist. BUT, the file lists him as from New Hampshire. No problem, he could have moved there after the war, or just an odd exception. A similar record exists for a Sargent James Roach, born in New York, receiving his bounty from Fort Wayne, Indiana. All over the place right? Well a captain of one of the companies was named Capt. Richard Hales Bell. He is from Virginia. So, what's going on? I don't know. Please help.
"Those are regulars, by god!" -Not Phineas Riall, in reference to not Winfield Scott's Brigade
GaryNJ
Cumberland
NJ USA
5th US Infantry Reg.
Posted on: 2/18/2020 12:24:43 AM

I have some info for you from The United States Army in the War of 1812: Concise Biographies of Commanders and Operational Histories of Regiments, with Bibliographies of Published and Primary Sources by John C. Fredriksen. The regiment was raised in 1808 at Harrisburg. I will PM you a copy of the info as it is copyrighted.

Gary
AustinG
Reading
PA USA
5th US Infantry Reg.
Posted on: 2/18/2020 4:31:41 PM

Thanks Gary! I am very excited to read about this regiment.
Nick Spencer
IOW,United kingdom
 UK
5th US Infantry Reg.
Posted on: 4/3/2020 4:44:06 AM

Quote:
I was looking at the different PA regiments of the War of 1812 and in the past have found a lot of information on the 22nd, a little on the 16th, but never any from the actual war about the 5th . Does anyone remember seeing the 5th in any order of battle, any information, or anything like that? Multiple sources say different things. All of them say it was reorganized from the 4th, 9th, 13th, 21st, 40th, and 46th into the 5th after the war. However this website (https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/United_States_War_of_1812_Infantry_Units) lists the 5th Infantry as being recruited in Pennsylvania, leading me to believe it existed before the reorganization to 8 reg's in 1815. Does anyone have any info on what exactly happened to the 5th infantry before 1815? (And not the current reg's ancestry, the actual 5th from 1812-1815.)

Did you look at Army lineage?[Read More]
5th Inf
[Read More]

© 2020 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC