MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:    Password:

(???? - 1799 AD) Pre-19th Century Battles
Author
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA

The American Revolutionary War in under 19 minutes!?
Posted on: 6/30/2019 7:59:09 PM

Check this out! IMHO; Definitely worth your time!

[Read More]

Comments?
MD

Appropriate with Independence Day coming up!
----------------------------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
ColonelMac1775
Copperas Cove
TX USA

Posted on: 7/5/2019 5:53:38 AM

Thanks Dave. Well worth watching.

Rich
Some things are believed because they are demonstrably true. But, many others are believed simply because they've been asserted again and again.
Bones
Beloit,
KS USA

Posted on: 7/5/2019 11:16:24 AM

Thanks. Good video!
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA

Posted on: 7/7/2019 9:47:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks Dave. Well worth watching.

Rich

Hi Colonel,

Good to hear from you again!

Thanks MD
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Bob Hall
Gettysburg
PA USA

Posted on: 7/15/2019 6:21:33 PM

Thanks for the link.
John R. Price
Wilkes-Barre
PA USA

Posted on: 7/26/2019 11:56:44 AM

Hey Dave speaking of the Revolutionary War been doing some reading on Saratoga and the war in the "Northern Department" and I keep coming upon references of Canadian units fighting with the Continentals. Livingston's 1st Canadian Regiment for example was part of Learner's Brigade of Arnold's Division at Saratoga, I fact the best I can make out there were more Canadians fighting against the Redcoats at Bennington and Saratoga than with them.
A battle long forgotten by our country in a war never understood by our country. "to satisfy our endless needs and justify our bloody deeds, in the name of destiny and in the name of God"
George
Centre Hastings
ON Canada

Posted on: 7/26/2019 2:09:47 PM

Quote:
Hey Dave speaking of the Revolutionary War been doing some reading on Saratoga and the war in the "Northern Department" and I keep coming upon references of Canadian units fighting with the Continentals. Livingston's 1st Canadian Regiment for example was part of Learner's Brigade of Arnold's Division at Saratoga, I fact the best I can make out there were more Canadians fighting against the Redcoats at Bennington and Saratoga than with them.

Could be John. The British did not trust the French-Canadian militia out of Quebec . The habitants were reluctant to help the British in the Revolution though the majority had no love for the Americans either.

The British tried to raise French-Canadian militia but met with great resistance. And they even offered to pay them.
When the US attacked Quebec City and were repelled with the loss of Gen. Montgomery and the wounding of Arnold, the garrison within the walls of Quebec was manned by British regulars. Militia comprised less than half. The British even had to call for reinforcements from the colony of Newfoundland.

For the rest of the revolutionary war, the militia played a very minor role. Between 1776 and 1783, only 3 companies of militia in Quebec were maintained. These three served as instructors who would instruct various rural militia groups scattered about the colony.

"Gentleman Johnny" Burgoyne went to Saratoga with Hessians and a small detachment of Canadien militia and on May 14 he wrote:

Quote:
I cannot speak with much confidence of the assistance that I am to look for from the Canadians. The only corps yet instituted or that I am informed can presently be instituted are three independent companies of 100 men each, officered by Seigneurs (upper class, French-Canadians) of the country, who are well chosen; but they have not been able to engage many volunteers. The men are chiefly drafted from the militia, according to a late regulation of the Legislative Council. Those I have yet seen offer no promise of use of arms----, awkward, ignorant, disinclined to the service, and spiritless

These militia men were mentioned in the articles of capitulation and many had already deserted before the battles. Those that were left were permitted to head home to Quebec.

In 1778, the British took 6 companies of 60 militia men each from Quebec and formed them into a battalion in Detroit. From there they were to assist at the Battle of Vincennes. They performed badly even though supported by regulars and were a most discontented bunch, so much so, that the British sent them home and then recruited locals who were more inclined to fight the Americans.

So I am not suggesting that your assertion is incorrect but I am saying that the militia from Quebec were a very small number in the British forces. It could very well be that the 1st and 2nd Canadian Regiments did total more French-Canadians than on the British side.

There were many more French speaking than English speaking inhabitants of the vast area called Quebec in 1776. If the Americans had been able to win their hearts, they possibly could have seized the British colony. Their conquest by the British was in 1759 as you know and at best, the British could expect little from their new subjects and certainly not passionate loyalty to the crown.
However, the French-Canadians did not trust the Americans at all. They had heard the comments made about them after the Quebec Act was passed in 1774. That Act guaranteed their language and their religion. That was a big deal.

American attempts to recruit a large militia army in Quebec failed miserably. The Quebec priests had told the people not to deal with the Americans. Anti-catholic sentiment in the 13 colonies was well known in Quebec.

So if Les Canadiens wouldn't fight for King George, they also would not fight for George Washington. At best, the British could say that they won the battle for Canadian neutrality.

George

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA

Posted on: 10/29/2019 5:55:18 PM

Check out the new liberty trail in South Carolina!?

[Read More]

Comments ?
MD

© 2019 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC