MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:    Password:

(1861-1865) Civil War Battles (Western Theater)
Author
London
 UK

Battle of Perryville
Posted on: 10/8/2019 3:08:56 AM

Another anniversary - as mentioned in Michigan Dave’s This Day in History Thread in the General History sector.

Perryville, Kentucky, 8 October 1862. The only really big battle fought in that state in the war, and a decidedly bloody one at that.

Rather like Corinth, fought several days earlier in Mississippi , this engagement doesn’t get the attention it deserves.

It was a strategic Union victory, but, in tactical terms, the yankees were worsted.

The Confederate force was relatively small : sixteen thousand. The cost in casualties was very high : one fifth of the troops were killed or wounded in a few hours, making it one of the severest fights of the war.

The yankees lost more heavily in absolute numbers : well over four thousand killed, wounded or missing. Amongst these union casualties, for some reason, there was an inordinately high proportion of killed. Whereas the number of killed was normally outnumbered by the wounded in the ratio of five to one, in this battle the yankees lost barely three wounded for every one killed. I wonder why.

Regards, Phil
----------------------------------
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Twitter3
Fairmont
WV USA

Battle of Perryville
Posted on: 10/8/2019 9:08:36 AM

Here is a good documentary on Kentucky in the Civil War (including some information regarding your question).

https://youtu.be/l6EH7YbHHqc

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA

Battle of Perryville
Posted on: 10/8/2019 10:07:31 AM

Thanks Phil,

For citing Civil War Battles like Perryville that occurred on "this day in history" I appreciate a more in depth look at them!? Short videos follow on the Kentucky battles of Perryville, & Franklin Tennessee! Check them out they're fairly good! Comments?

[Read More]

[Read More]

Do you find the battles connected strategically??

Regards,
MD
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Phil Andrade
London
 UK

Battle of Perryville
Posted on: 10/8/2019 10:48:28 AM

Quote:
Here is a good documentary on Kentucky in the Civil War (including some information regarding your question).

Thanks, Twitter 3, hoping to get to grips with this, but have failed thus far to open the link.

Looking forward to another go later.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Phil Andrade
London
 UK

Battle of Perryville
Posted on: 10/8/2019 10:54:18 AM

Quote:
Thanks Phil,

For citing Civil War Battles like Perryville that occurred on "this day in history" I appreciate a more in depth look at them!? Short videos follow on the Kentucky battles of Perryville, & Franklin Tennessee! Check them out they're fairly good! Comments?

[Read More]

[Read More]

Do you find the battles connected strategically??

Regards,
MD

Both good links, Dave, thank you.

Franklin was very different from Perryville in strategic terms : the Kentucky battle in 1862 was part of a grand confederate resurgence in East and West, culminating in the trinity of Antietam, Corinth and Perryville.

Franklin was more of a forlorn hope, with a lone rebel army making a foray that was to prove uniquely futile and tragic.

I think the animated map conveyed a heap of information, along with conveying the hair raising details of the fighting.

It’s interesting , though, that the much quoted Sam Watkins fought at both battles : he was outraged by the slaughter at Franklin, but insisted that no battle he ever fought in was more sternly and evenly contested than Perryville .

Regards, Phil
Phil Andrade
London
 UK

Battle of Perryville
Posted on: 10/8/2019 2:56:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks, Twitter 3, hoping to get to grips with this, but have failed thus far to open the link.

Looking forward to another go later.

Regards, Phil

Yes, manged to get it and was very impressed by the enthusiasm and knowledge of the narrator. It brought the battle to life, and gave a good indication of the scope and importance of the struggle for Kentucky.

And, more important still, welcome to MHO !

Regards, Phil
Twitter3
Fairmont
WV USA

Battle of Perryville
Posted on: 10/8/2019 8:39:09 PM

Thank you Phil. I am enjoying catching up on this site very much and look forward to learning more.

As for the video, I thought it was well done and it taught me a few things about the campaign in Kentucky.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA

Battle of Perryville
Posted on: 10/14/2019 5:11:32 PM

Another good video on the last hope of the Confederacy in the West!?

[Read More]

What say you?
MD

"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Twitter3
Fairmont
WV USA

Battle of Perryville
Posted on: 10/14/2019 6:49:48 PM

Thank you for sharing that video.

Letting the Union army march past them on the Columbia Pike was controversial then as several Confederate officers passed the blame to each other. Either way, things would have been different if the Union would have been forced to fight it's way back to Nashville.

I read a good book about this campaign called "Shrouds of Glory". It is worth reading.

© 2019 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC