MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

(1861-1865) Civil War Battles (Eastern Theater)
home  USA
Balls Bluff
10/21/2022 9:09:45 AM
A nice compact battle field to visit. If in the area, you can easily walk what has been preserved in a morning or afternoon. Much of it has been lost to development.

The National Cemetery here may be the smallest in the US.
Phil Andrade
London  UK
Balls Bluff
10/23/2022 3:31:41 PM
Quote:
A nice compact battle field to visit. If in the area, you can easily walk what has been preserved in a morning or afternoon. Much of it has been lost to development.

The National Cemetery here may be the smallest in the US.

Apparently, fifty four federal dead from the battle are interred in the National Cemetery .

But the actual number of northern fatalities has been cited as 226, which indicates how many dead bluecoats were lost in the river.

Regards, Phil
----------------------------------
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
NYGiant
home  USA
Balls Bluff
10/23/2022 5:53:45 PM

One of the battles that led to the establishment of the Congressional Joint Committee on the Conduct of the War, which would bedevil Union officers for the remainder of the war (particularly those who were Democrats) and contribute to nasty political infighting among the generals in the high command.
Phil Andrade
London  UK
Balls Bluff
10/24/2022 3:59:19 AM
Good points, NYG, and an example of how the ramifications of this relatively small battle were to have far reaching impact.

I suppose the next significant battle in the calendar might be the Battle of Belmont, another of those formative affairs that were to impinge on the subsequent narrative of the war.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
NYGiant
home  USA
Balls Bluff
10/24/2022 6:25:39 AM
I'd have to agree with that Phil.
Phil Andrade
London  UK
Balls Bluff
10/24/2022 8:09:25 AM
Quote:
I'd have to agree with that Phil.

Hallelujah !

Be careful! 😂

Regards, Phil

© 2023 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC