MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

(1861-1865) Civil War Battles (Eastern Theater)
Little Meadows PA USA
MAy 12, 1863
5/12/2022 7:39:40 AM
From the Semi Weekly Standard. Raleigh NC. May 12, 1863

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Phil Andrade
London  UK
MAy 12, 1863
5/13/2022 3:27:40 AM
Hi Larry,

Some stark revelations about the cost of the victory : apart from the crowning loss of Jackson, the casualties cited in the NC press must have been a grim revelation.

Interesting mention of the initial comment by General Ramseur about the the casualty list for his brigade : he alluded to five hundred wounded, but qualified this with the statement that there were few killed. In most civil war battles, a loss of five hundred wounded would entail a figure of about one hundred killed outright. I was taken back to see that the final figure for killed in action for Ramseur's command was 151, with 529 wounded and 108 missing. At Chancellorsville, no other brigade in the AoNV suffered such a high proportion of KIA, measured against wounded, as did Ramseur's. This makes his reassuring comment seem reprehensible, especially when we remember that there were additional deaths from wounds to follow, and, perhaps, a portion of the missing in action who had been killed.

Regards, Phil
----------------------------------
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

© 2022 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC