MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

(1861-1865) Civil War Battles (Eastern Theater)
London  UK
Chancellorsville, May 3, 1863
5/3/2022 11:14:05 AM
Lee's masterpiece ?

Yes, certainly one of the great days in confederate annals.

But it was also a day of head on slaughter, which demonstrated the price that was paid in southern blood, as Lee's men pressed home attacks against strong enemy positions.

Brilliant manoeuvre notwithstanding, it came down to carnage in the end.

Regards, Phil
----------------------------------
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
5/3/2022 12:14:27 PM
Hi Phil,

The biggest loss of all was Stonewall!? Who bares the most blame for this tragedy?? The troops who mistakenly shot him or Stonewall himself for doing recon in a dangerous area, & time??

What say you?
Anyone??
MD
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
john hayward
Allenstown NH USA
5/3/2022 6:16:07 PM
Gentlemen

Just before nightfall a Union cavalry regiment crashed into the rebel lines in the same area. This put those units on high alert for other possible cavalry attack. Therefore when a rather large body of horsemen appeared out of the shadows the jittery NC boys opened fire.
Jackson shouldn't have been that far forward and he ended up between the lines. He was looking for a way to slide around the Union far right. If he did move in that direction he would have discovered that a full Union Corps was located there. The move also would have widen the gap between him and the rest of Lee's forces.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."
Phil Andrade
London  UK
5/4/2022 7:44:53 AM
Dave and John,

The conditions of battle at Chancellorsville were bound to entail high risk for any reconnaissance . It was dark , wooded and chaotic, and in those days any commander worth his salt was expected to make himself aware of frontline conditions : indeed, that phrase “ front line “ is hardly applicable to the situation that confronted soldiers in both armies at that time and place.

The best testimony that comes to mind regarding the requirements and hazards of combat leadership in such fighting is that , almost exactly one year later, in almost exactly the same place , and in phenomenally similar circumstances, James Longstreet was desperately wounded by friendly fire as he reconnoitred the battlefield whilst preparing to exploit the enemy’s discomfiture.

You wouldn’t dare to make it up !

I suppose the controversial word is “ requirements “ . Our prevailing military outlook disdains such a role for high ranking officers, unless they’re Russians fighting in Ukraine.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

© 2022 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC