MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

(1861-1865) Civil War Battles (Eastern Theater)
Little Meadows PA USA
December 9, 1862
12/9/2021 8:55:45 AM

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Phil Andrade
London  UK
December 9, 1862
12/9/2021 9:53:39 AM
Another interesting article, Larry.

Was this the case of the missing pontoons ?

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows PA USA
December 9, 1862
12/11/2021 8:58:26 AM
Quote:
Another interesting article, Larry.

Was this the case of the missing pontoons ?

Regards, Phil

These problems may well have played into the sad saga of the missing pontoons.

Larry
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Steve Clements
Toronto ON Canada
December 9, 1862
12/11/2021 9:56:02 AM
Interesting. Given that the “Burnside replaced by Hooker” rumours referenced here were pre the battle of Fredericksburg….

s.c.

scoucer
Berlin  Germany
December 9, 1862
12/11/2021 10:51:45 AM
Quote:
Interesting. Given that the “Burnside replaced by Hooker” rumours referenced here were pre the battle of Fredericksburg….

s.c.

Hooker was quite the intregant. He had been pushing himself to get command of the AoP since the Seven Days and was well in with the press and politicians - especially the Radical Republicans, using these connections to attack all in the AoP command. Burnside despised him and only accepted command because he was informed that should he refuse it, it would be given to Hooker.

Trevor

`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.
Steve Clements
Toronto ON Canada
December 9, 1862
12/15/2021 3:26:53 PM
.Quote:
He had been pushing himself to get command of the AoP since the Seven Days and was well in with the press and politicians - ...

Trevor,

We are all (now) well aware of Hooker's "ambitions" and general back stabbing....but I was still surprised to see that the press was talking about rumours of Burnside being replaced, even BEFORE Burnside had had a chance to screw up-:)

As per your post, I gather that Hooker was whispering in certain reporters' ears about how incompetent Burnside was...or something along those lines. And how what the North really needed was a dictator...

s.c.

© 2022 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC