MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

(1861-1865) Civil War Battles (Eastern Theater)
Little Meadows PA USA
September 13, 1862
9/13/2021 7:22:51 AM

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
scoucer
Berlin  Germany
September 13, 1862
9/13/2021 7:53:59 AM
Thanks Larry for these. A always loved the Gettysburg campaign ones. To do the Maryland campaign is a great idea.

Thanks
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.
Steve Clements
Toronto ON Canada
September 13, 1862
9/13/2021 10:31:49 AM
Quote:
The Times and Daily News both criticize President Lincoln's address to the negroes relative to emancipation. His views were pronounced impracticable.

Thought that this was interesting...since the Emancipation Proclamation was safely tucked away in a desk drawer, to wait for a Federal victory of some significance. Wonder what this piece is referring to....???

That the "main body" of the ANV was headed towards Hagerstown was correct, that Jackson was headed there was not-;)

And yes Larry, please keep these coming!

s.c.
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows PA USA
September 13, 1862
9/13/2021 10:34:10 AM
Quote:
Thanks Larry for these. A always loved the Gettysburg campaign ones. To do the Maryland campaign is a great idea.

Thanks

Glad you're enjoying these posts.

Larry
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows PA USA
September 13, 1862
9/13/2021 10:35:33 AM
Quote:
Quote:
The Times and Daily News both criticize President Lincoln's address to the negroes relative to emancipation. His views were pronounced impracticable.

Thought that this was interesting...since the Emancipation Proclamation was safely tucked away in a desk drawer, to wait for a Federal victory of some significance. Wonder what this piece is referring to....???

That the "main body" of the ANV was headed towards Hagerstown was correct, that Jackson was headed there was not-;)

s.c.

I enjoy reading the old newspapers. Politics were much more nasty.,

Larry
Gregory C. White
Canton GA USA
September 13, 1862
9/13/2021 12:18:28 PM
Quote:
Quote:

s.c.

Steve,

I subscribe to an online newspaper service. I just checked random 1862 issues and emancipation was a heavily
debated topic, especially in the British newspapers, long before Lincoln made his announcement following the
Sharpsburg battle. Among numerous proposals were for the free Blacks of the "North" to be resettled in Africa.

In response to your question, Lincoln must have met with some Black leaders prior to the Maryland Campaign
regarding emancipation. I'll see if I can find more particulars on this.

The vitriol of the period newspapers (North & South) is a must-read to get a better understanding of what average
Americans had to deal with at the time. Fascinating stuff !

Best Regards,

Greg
“Any society which suppresses the heritage of its conquered minorities, prevent their history, and denies them their symbols, has sown the seeds of its destruction.” Sir William Wallace, 1280 A.D.
Steve Clements
Toronto ON Canada
September 13, 1862
9/13/2021 3:52:46 PM
Quote:
I just checked random 1862 issues and emancipation was a heavily
debated topic, especially in the British newspapers, long before Lincoln made his announcement following the
Sharpsburg battle.

Greg,

Thanks for your comments....not something that I would have been aware of...

s.c.

© 2021 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC