MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

(1861-1865) Civil War Battles (Eastern Theater)
Little Meadows PA USA
September 11, 1862
9/11/2021 10:11:00 AM

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Phil Andrade
London  UK
September 11, 1862
9/11/2021 12:10:03 PM
Larry,

It catches the eye,this Northern complaint that Stonewall Jackson was being overrated by the people of the North. It bears a striking resemblance to the legendary status of Erwin Rommel in 1942. There were British generals who were really angry that the feats of the foe were being embellished by British soldiers and, indeed, the public. It really doesn’t do, to accord the attributes of invincibility to an enemy general !

I do feel convinced that there are parallels that can be draw between the situation in September 1862, and that which prevailed eighty years later, as the Germans were moving towards Stalingrad in the East and Rommel was threatening Cairo in North Africa.

Union defeats in the East, with Lee moving into Maryland , as Bragg, Van Dorn and Price we’re getting into their stride in the West.

Regards, Phil
----------------------------------
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

© 2021 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC