MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:    Password:

(1939-1945) WWII
Author
Cornish
NH USA
Eagle Insignia/Badge
Posted on: 6/11/2020 6:30:03 PM

Wondering if someone can help me. I very fortunately came in possession this week of my Uncle Gil's WWII Bronze Star medal. In this box was also a castle pin which I understand means "engineer," but there is also a very small pin that I assume is an eagle. It's a little over a half an inch in diameter.

Anyone know what that signifies?

He was in the Army and on the Third Wave on Omaha Beach.

Thank you!

Ginny Gage
----------------------------------
kaii
Oslo
 Norway
Eagle Insignia/Badge
Posted on: 6/16/2020 5:39:54 PM

Could it be something he found/captured while fighting in France? The Germans had a number of different eagle themed pins.

K
I’m not worried about the Third World War. That’s the Third World’s problem.
DT509er
Santa Rosa
CA USA
Eagle Insignia/Badge
Posted on: 6/16/2020 11:38:08 PM

Any pictures to share of the? Is the eagle pin size enough to possibly be a lapel or tie pin?

Kaii makes a very good point about German eagles be abundant in the German military.
"American parachutists-devils in baggy pants..." “If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.” Lord Ernest Rutherford
Lew & Ginny Gage
Cornish
NH USA
Eagle Insignia/Badge
Posted on: 6/17/2020 11:45:01 AM

I wish I could post it, but I can't seem to figure out how to do that!!!

I suppose it could be a lapel or tie pin. There is also one of those type pins in the box with his rank. This particular pin seems to really be attached to the felt liner, above where the bronze star medal is.

So, I don't know about it possibly being something he found while overseas.

Is it possible for me to e-mail a photo to someone and have them post it?

Ginny
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows
PA USA
Eagle Insignia/Badge
Posted on: 6/17/2020 2:34:25 PM

Ginny, PM sent to you a few minutes ago.
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
R Leonard
Richmond
VA USA
Eagle Insignia/Badge
Posted on: 6/17/2020 8:13:27 PM

Sounds, without seeing your example, that what you have is what is referred to as a "ruptured duck" or, more correctly an Honorable Discharge Lapel pin. When one was discharged, one still had to get home (presuming that was the destination) . But wait! you've been discharged . . . you cant just continue wearing your uniform and go traipsing about the country side. The lapel pin signified to the authorities, read, Military Police, that you had been discharged and, even though you were in uniform, not only were you in transit, but they had no authority over you.

See, for a gazillion examples:
https://www.google.com/search?q=ruptured+duck+pin&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS892US892&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=Dmyo5lsQNKjIMM%253A%252C5XnsGxR3af916M%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kS0LfJGyeVcpexDF7_8gRHgNlVk2Q&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi8zu_eiYrqAhU9lHIEHYHmDd8Q9QEwEnoECAMQFA&biw=1852&bih=853#imgrc=Dmyo5lsQNKjIMM:

Lew & Ginny Gage
Cornish
NH USA
Eagle Insignia/Badge
Posted on: 6/18/2020 1:07:39 PM

That's it!!! Quite the story behind that! Thank you so very, very much for taking the time to look that up and post for me. I sincerely appreciate that.

Ginny

© 2020 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC