MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:    Password:

(1939-1945) WWII
Author
Centre Hastings
ON Canada
End of Hostilities
Posted on: 5/8/2020 8:34:30 AM

Today we mark the 75th anniversary of the cessation of hostilities in Europe. This part of the war, which had begun in 1939 was over. Nearly 6 years of war. Ceremonies to commemorate VE day featured only well spaced dignitaries in many places. I would guess that there will be few veterans available to be honoured at ceremonies taking place, five years from now.

There are many of us on this forum who had relatives who fought in these battles. Some were killed and some were wounded and fortunately, many survived. We remember them all.

And there may be a few who lost relatives who were fighting on the other side. Politics and ideology aside, I choose to remember them as well as human beings caught up in something perhaps beyond their control or ken.

Hopefully, we can avoid a third world wide conflict of the magnitude of the first two.

George
----------------------------------
Phil Andrade
London
 UK
End of Hostilities
Posted on: 5/8/2020 2:15:11 PM

Well said, George.

Those six years took a huge chunk of people’s lives, and in countless millions of cases, took their lives entirely.

There will be a sing song tonight in my street : Roll out the Barrel, We’ll Meet Again etc. All done under the code of social distancing....what an absurd phrase for something that can bring people together.

So I’ll charge my glass and go outside in an hour’s time .

I’ll be thinking of my mum and dad .

The Queen speaks at nine o’clock .

She was there.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
George
Centre Hastings
ON Canada
End of Hostilities
Posted on: 5/8/2020 3:18:13 PM

Quote:
She was there.

Yes indeed. I was always impressed that the 14 year old Princess Elizabeth gave a speech over the radio to the thousands of British youngsters who had been sent to various countries to protect them from the German attacks on their homeland. Just a kid then, but she has served her country and mine well for all these years.

[Read More]

Cheers,

George
Brian Grafton
Victoria
BC Canada
End of Hostilities
Posted on: 5/8/2020 6:39:08 PM

Sadly, I know of no public ceremonies dedicated to the end of the European phase of the war. 2075 long days and nights by my reckoning, and perhaps not a single Legion Hall open to lift a glass in thanks or memory.

There will be a ceremony of sorts at 19:00 in downtown Victoria, as there has been every night for the past 3-4 weeks. It will be for front-line and emergency workers, who have done a splendid job under enormous pressure and tension since the COVID-19 control procedures were put in place. There will be pot-and-pan banging, air horns, shouting, church bells and car horns offering a cacophony of sound in thanks.

But I sense very few will think of offering thanks for the 75th anniversary of another war. A friend whose condo is on the 9th floor of a central building will send me a video of the noise, after which we will have a daily chat. I will tell her what today represents, and she will be genuinely embarrassed for not knowing. Damn, but tht makes me feel old.

I have just poured myself a glass of wine, and have offered a silent toast to those who served and those who died. I try to be as generous as George concerning all sides of the conflict, and find to my shame I can't quite make that step.

Cheers
Brian G
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly. "The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.
Lightning
Glasgow
 UK
End of Hostilities
Posted on: 5/15/2020 10:36:21 AM

I spent much of VE Day in our home thinking of my Great Uncle Robert MacConnochie, blown to bits by a shell during the prelude to El Alamein, aged 22. By all accounts, he was amiable lad, and before the war worked as a delivery man for one the many bakers in Glasgow. My gran said he used to throw biscuits, cakes and rolls from the back of the van to the army of children who had got wind of his generosity. She missed him terribly.

His father, Fred, had fought at the Somme and survived. I never knew Fred, as he died just before I was born, but I wonder how he reconciled himself surviving that awful war only to lose his son in the next.

I raised a glass to peace on the day. Let's hope that next year we get to do it in the company of others.

Cheers,

Colin
"There is no course open to us but to fight it out. Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause, each one of us must fight to the end."
George
Centre Hastings
ON Canada
End of Hostilities
Posted on: 5/15/2020 5:42:18 PM

Thank you for the story of your Great Uncle Robert, Colin. On these anniversaries, our thoughts focus on those lost in the conflict. It is hard to forget and we should not.

Cheers,

George
G David Bock
Lynden
WA USA
End of Hostilities
Posted on: 5/17/2020 12:43:47 PM

75th Anniversary of Victory in Europe
https://www.airspacemag.com/military-aviation/75th-anniversary-victory-world-war-ii-180974410/
[Read More]
TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

© 2020 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC