MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:    Password:

(1939-1945) WWII Battles
Author
Atlanta
GA USA

Berlin to Warsaw in one tank
Posted on: 8/2/2019 10:50:23 PM

This has been making the rounds on the internet. Is/was it an actual ad by VW? Or is this a hoax? Bad advertising if it's true?

----------------------------------
Brian Grafton
Victoria
BC Canada

Posted on: 8/3/2019 8:40:28 PM

I agree this is challenging. If it's a true VW ad, I hope it's one of those "errors in translation" ads that is merely embarrassing.

WV has begun an aggressive ad campaign in NA, trying to negate the diesel scandal and return to their NA ad roots. On the back of the New Yorker for July 22, e.g., is an ad reading "Drive like there's a tomorrow." (in Helvetica Medium, of course). It features the ID Buzz, a retro-based minivan with all electric power and a range around 250-370 kms.

VW wants to get back to the Beetle-type ads that sold the Bug to NA. They never tried to sell the Beetle as "The Peoples' Car" but only as a practical alternative to US excess. So I can't imagine them trying to sell their new product line as a re-enactment of the invasion of Poland.

Gotta be a cooked ad.

Cheers
Brian G

"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly. "The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.
DT509er
Santa Rosa
CA USA

Posted on: 8/4/2019 11:33:26 AM

This dates back to 2009 when Jeremy Clarkson of the popular TV show, "Top Gear" had this ad placed on BBC programming that was viewed by about 7 million viewers (seems the BBC got off easy on that one). Clarkson is a rather obnoxious person who eventually would be fired from the "Top Gear" show as the VW ad was but one of his antics.

"American parachutists-devils in baggy pants..." I take offense to your perception of being offended! “If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.” Lord Ernest Rutherford
Brian W
Atlanta
GA USA

Posted on: 8/4/2019 3:13:09 PM

Quote:
This dates back to 2009 when Jeremy Clarkson of the popular TV show, "Top Gear" had this ad placed on BBC programming that was viewed by about 7 million viewers (seems the BBC got off easy on that one). Clarkson is a rather obnoxious person who eventually would be fired from the "Top Gear" show as the VW ad was but one of his antics.

Ah, ok. That makes sense.

© 2019 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC