MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Little Meadows PA USA
Ordinance records for Archers brigade.
1/1/2023 12:49:15 PM
If anyone could point me in the direction of ordinance records for Archers brigade during the Gettysburg campaign I would be eternally grateful. Information needed for a winter project.

Thanks, Larry
----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
mikecmaps
CAMARILLO CA USA
1/1/2023 8:09:36 PM

Larry,

Specific Confederate records may be a chore to locate (if available)
You may do better looking for the specific regiments?? Regimental histories?
Officials Records certainly one possible source.
Be sure to look at Series IV.

Text searchable online version can be found. Check Hathi trust.

If you Are looking for Archer’s Brig, am guessing you may be looking for muskets/rifles data.

For some union units post-war journal article may be found online. See Infantry Journal, Artillery etc. & some
published during the war but again this really for union. & same for some staff dept reports.

I wish you great success.
yours,
Mikec_C.
mikecmaps
Phil Andrade
London  UK
1/3/2023 2:45:07 PM
Larry,

What is it about the record of Archer’s Brigade at Gettysburg that has inspired this interest ?

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows PA USA
1/5/2023 4:27:14 PM
Quote:
Larry,

What is it about the record of Archer’s Brigade at Gettysburg that has inspired this interest ?

Regards, Phil

Hi Phil. A winter project to keep me busy. Specifically what type of weapons and ammunition was being used by Archers regiments when J F Reynolds was killed.

Larry.
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
1/5/2023 6:39:40 PM
Quote:
If anyone could point me in the direction of ordinance records for Archers brigade during the Gettysburg campaign I would be eternally grateful. Information needed for a winter project.

Thanks, Larry

Larry,

I hate to have to break this to you, but there weren't any archers at Gettysburg! Both armies used guns! I don't believe there was anyone with a bow & arrows!!?? 😆

Oops, just had to get that one in!!
MD
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Phil Andrade
London  UK
1/7/2023 7:25:31 AM
Larry,

How about researching the accounts of the yankees who took so many of Archer’s men prisoner on Day One ?

I’m wondering if Archer’s command benefited from the great haul of captured union weapons that the rebels gained after Chancellorsville.

More than two thirds of all the soldiers in Archer’s brigade who were killed or wounded at Gettysburg were casualties of the climactic assault of Day Three, and it’s been stated that the brigade gained more penetration into the Union lines than any other rebel unit in the PPT action, in which case one might assume that the bulk of their fire was delivered then, rather than on the first day of the battle.

OTOH, perhaps they enjoyed a brief moment of defensive advantage on Day One, prior to their capture, which afforded them a better chance to fire effectively.

Edit : the copious notes at the back of my trusted Coddington tell me that more than 80% of the 2,958 confederate small arms that were picked up by the yankees of the First Corps were Enfield rifles. By that criterion, it’s most likely that these were carried by Archers’s men, giving them an advantage over the Wisconsin men of the Iron Brigade who might well have been armed with inferior Austrian weapons. In my mind’s eye, I see an Alabamian or Tennessean sharpshooter in a tree, drawing a bead on Reynolds, who, swivelling round on his horse, made himself vulnerable by doing the job of a Colonel instead of a Corps commander.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
theREALplm
Pennsylvania PA USA
1/22/2023 10:08:48 AM
Quote:

Specifically what type of weapons and ammunition was being used by Archers regiments when J F Reynolds was killed.

I skimmed through a couple sources quick (five minutes), the best I know of are "What a Deadly Trap We Were in" - Gettysburg Magazine #6, "Memories of Col. John Amenas Fite," and "The 7th Tennessee Infantry in the Civil War, A History and Roster."

In the last of which there is a mention on pg 49 of the eBook version that...

"Worn out accoutrements, clothing, boots, blankets, tents and weapons were dumped when new replacements were located. One Tennessean noted, "[They] were able to obtain the more modern and efficient Springfield and Enfield rifles for their use instead of the old smoothbores they had used so well"

from a soldier in the 14th Tennessee recalling a fight in May 1862 where they were looting Union positions. So they're discarding whatever weapon they have and taking Enfields or Springfields thirteen months prior to Gettysburg.

There might be more clues out there. I recall in "A Strange and Blighted Land" by Gregory Coco that he speaks of weapons which were found disabled in some manner and thinking it strange. There are accounts that men of the Iron brigade somehow disabled a few hundred Confederate muskets on the Morning of July 1st, these were from Archer's routed brigade. There wasn't necessarily time to collect the weapons, I doubt it happened. They tried to disable them because looming over them was already at least one visible fresh brigade of enemy on the opposite ridge.

Quote:
in my mind’s eye, I see an Alabamian or Tennessean sharpshooter in a tree, drawing a bead on Reynolds, who, swiveling round on his horse, made himself vulnerable by doing the job of a Colonel instead of a Corps commander.
Regards, Phil

Interestingly, there's zero accounts of Reynolds playing the role of a Colonel except from a private acting as the General's orderly who is promoted Lieutenant with the help of Reynolds family after the battle and has various different stories to tell about it. Nobody from the nearby infantry regiments saw any of his supposed heroics. His orderly specifically called the claim of sharpshooters in the trees as all nonsense in a National Tribune article because various Confederates tried to make such claims.

They didn't have time to climb the trees, the confrontation was quick. Archer's brigade chased off the cavalry screen and was immediately confronted with infantry. If Reynolds was trying to do any personal leadership, nobody from the infantry noticed him out of sixteen known surviving eyewitnesses in the 2nd Wisconsin, including officers. Nobody even implied he was with them in any way. The only person that saw Reynolds from the 2nd was an orderly sergeant (often misidentified) who said he looked over his shoulder and saw Reynolds fall from his horse within 100 feet of the rear of the regiment from the first volley fired at them.
Phil Andrade
London  UK
1/22/2023 10:43:59 AM
Thanks for that correction.

My mind’s eye prefers the more dramatic version, but your more assiduous research must prevail.

Regards, Phil

© 2023 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC