MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Polo Grounds NY USA
Book Review-All Roads led to Gettysburg
8/23/2022 1:29:17 PM
A new book on the Gettysburg Campaign, "All Roads Led to Gettysburg" by Troy Harman is now on the book shelves.

This book is a "cut above" most history books and especially books on the Gettysburg Campaign as it applies the hard sciences of geology and geography to the study of the battle of Gettysburg. I feel it ia a welcome addition to "Retreat from Gettysburg" by Kent Masterson Brown in that it also emphasizes the road network and the rail network taking into account the importance on logistics, feeding the army and the fact that 19th Century armies marched on road networks.

Applying geology to the battlefield, Harman emphsizes the importance ot a natural fault in the Earth's surface which eventually became the Cashtown Pass. Though there are many passes in the Gettysburg Campaign, only the Cashtown Pass was large enough and with straight roads could accommodate an army with field artillery.

The significance of waterways is a particular emphasis of the book.

Harman's description of the 1st day of fighting, puts heavy emphasis on the decisions of Buford and Reynolds to decide that Gettysburg was to be the battlefield.

This book is a significant addition to our interpretation of the battle of Gettysburg.

JosephReynolds
Brooklyn NY USA
9/17/2022 12:02:38 AM
Have to put this in the queue. Troy is one of my favorite park rangers, IIRC he’s been there more than 30 years.
Dick Evick
Waco TX USA
9/19/2022 8:39:30 AM
sounds like a must read book.

Dick.
NYGiant
Polo Grounds NY USA
9/19/2022 2:56:19 PM
I could not put the book down, I enjoyed it so much!

© 2022 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC