MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Little Meadows PA USA
August 7, 1863
8/7/2022 12:33:51 PM
From the Macon Telegraph. Macon Georgia. August 7, 1863.

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Phil Andrade
London  UK
August 7, 1863
8/9/2022 3:10:40 AM
Larry,

The fate of North Carolina at Gettysburg must not obscure the ordeal of the other confederate states in that battle .

Georgia was certainly prominent there.

This particular example that you’ve pitched to us is significant because, by the standards of the battle, Thomas’s Brigade escaped with light casualties : but even here we see a tale of anguish.

Let me refer to Busey &Son and see how far the report was a complete record of the loss.

Before I cite numbers, it’s clear from the record that Thomas’s Brigade was spared the heaviest fighting, but did still sustain casualties from long range artillery fire, and, especially, from sharpshooting and skirmishing. Even being on the periphery at Gettysburg could be a deadly business.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Phil Andrade
London  UK
August 7, 1863
8/10/2022 5:53:10 PM
Here are the losses of Thomas’s Georgia Brigade at Gettysburg , from the Busey compendium.

Killed: 36; died of wounds: 18; wounded: 182 ; unwounded prisoners: 92 ; missing, unaccounted for : 3 ; total casualties: 331. This equated to one in four of the brigade’s strength.

Not so unscathed after all.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

© 2022 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC