MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Little Meadows PA USA
North Carolina casualties.
7/20/2022 2:01:12 PM
From the Spirit of The Age. Raleigh North Carolina. July 20, 1863.

From the Fayetteville Weekly Observer. Fayetteville NC. July 20, 1863.

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
7/20/2022 2:05:54 PM
Hi Larry,

I think this article confirms what we already knew. North Carolina had the greatest number of casualties in the Confederacy! Or was it the greatest % of casualties!?? Anyone??

Thanks,
MD
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows PA USA
7/20/2022 2:11:11 PM
Quote:
Hi Larry,

I think this article confirms what we already knew. North Carolina had the greatest number of casualties in the Confederacy! Or was it the greatest % of casualties!?? Anyone??

Thanks,
MD

Can't comment on the whole war but I think it's pretty much proven and accepted that Gettysburg was a total blood bath for North Carolina. Virginia usually gets the glory and coverage but North Carolina bore the burden.

Larry
Phil Andrade
London  UK
7/20/2022 3:59:50 PM
Quote:
Hi Larry,

Thanks,
MD

Dave,

North Carolina recorded the greatest number of deaths, by far.

South Carolina reported the highest percentage rate of killed. Note the difference : killed in battle, as opposed to deaths from all causes.

The problem is that other confederate states were not so meticulous in reporting, and recent research is showing some startling figures for other states.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Phil Andrade
London  UK
7/21/2022 4:57:47 AM
The above post was my comment relying to the record of CSA in the war as a whole.

For Gettysburg alone, the confederate states suffered :

Alabama : 2,277 casualties, 385 of them killed or died from wounds.

Arkansas : 143 casualties, 48 of them killed or mortally wounded.

Florida : 481 casualties, 109 KIA /DOW

Georgia : 4,011 casualties, 892 KIA/DOW

Louisiana : 882 casualties, 178 KIA/DOW

Maryland : 261 casualties, 76 KIA/DOW

Mississippi : 2,125 casualties, 500 KIA/DOW

North Carolina : 6,708 casualties, 1,560 KIA/DOW

South Carolina : 1,322 casualties, 395 KIA/DOW

Tennessee : 459 casualties, 58 KIA/DOW

Texas : 462 casualties, 117 KIA/DOW

Virginia : 4,877 casualties, 1,100 KIA/DOW

Figures cited from John Busey, Confederate Casualties at Gettysburg, A Comprehensive Record,

The preponderance of North Carolinian sacrifice is astonishing. In rough and ready terms, that state furnished twenty per cent of all rebel troops who fought in the battle, but accounted for thirty per cent of the army’s total loss in killed. A dreadful reckoning…..

In percentage terms, I suspect the tiny Floridan contingent took the worst beating, but people can choose so many different ways of interpreting these statistics. Note, for example, that Tennessee and Texas suffered remarkably similar casualty totals, but that Texas lost twice as many killed. A large part of the Tennessean casualties - more than half - were unwounded prisoners of war, although it should be noted that 35 of them perished in captivity in addition to the 58 who were fatally stricken in the battle.

The North has its counterpart in New York, which, like North Carolina, suffered an awful total of deaths in the battle, exceeding even those of Pennsylvania, which played " host" to the battle.

Editing : this was pitched in a hurry , any mistakes are mine .

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
7/21/2022 11:53:07 AM
Hi Phil,

Interesting that South Carolina started the Civil War yet their casualties are so light, comparitivly speaking!??

Why is that?
MD
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
mikecmaps
CAMARILLO CA USA
7/21/2022 1:18:30 PM

Phil,
Please info on the source you mention
“Figures cited from John Busey, Confederate Casualties at Gettysburg, A Comprehensive Record”
How many vols in this source? Did you receive 5 of 5 vols? What was cost of 5 vols?
Appears a number of customers received only 1 of the 5?
Amazon lists price of $150?? For 5 vols I would expect? Is that in ballpark what you paid? If you don’t mind?
Figures casualties by state very good but more useful with engaged numbers by state too. IMHO.
& yes ironic NC losses so high with a large pop of anti- secess in the state.
is there also a union losses version by busey? I see one on world cat - you know anything about that work too?

Thanks if you will & don’t mind.
Yours, Mike_C.
mikecmaps
Phil Andrade
London  UK
7/21/2022 4:46:55 PM
Hi Mike,

Delighted to try and answer your questions.

John Busey wrote four volumes, and I bought all four of them in one hit about five years ago. I must mention that he wrote these in conjunction with his son, Travis.

Being British, I paid in pounds sterling, but all the four volumes did cost the rough equivalent of one hundred and fifty dollars. That’s if my memory serves me.

Only an enthusiastic student of the Gettysburg statistics would pay such a sum, but for me the set is invaluable and I cherish it as a prized addition to my shelves.

I enjoyed personal correspondence with John over a couple of years, and he treated me with kindness.

For some reason, he has not been given the credit that I think he deserves for his work.

Yes, he’s produced some first rate studies of the Union record at Gettysburg - These Honored Dead - containing the details of more than five thousand killed or mortally wounded federal casualties of the battle. This too is a must have for the likes of me.

There has been at least one additional volume, and the one I possess has been updated.

John used to work in tandem with David G Martin, in earlier studies of the battle’s numbers and losses.

I opine that the work John produced by himself is better and more useful as source material.

I take your point about my failure to pitch the numbers engaged alongside the casualties, but while I’m willing and able to do so, I’m reluctant to subject my friends to an excess of data : sometimes I feel that less is more, and I thought I made the point succinctly by reckoning that North Carolina provided twenty per cent of Lee’s army at Gettysburg, but sustained thirty per cent of its entire loss in killed, which is actually quite a grotesque record of disproportionate bloodshed.

Please ask me to submit some more elaborate details of the figures : I’ll be happy to oblige.

Regards, Phil
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows PA USA
7/21/2022 5:09:53 PM
Quote:
Hi Mike,

Delighted to try and answer your questions.

John Busey wrote four volumes, and I bought all four of them in one hit about five years ago. I must mention that he wrote these in conjunction with his son, Travis.

Being British, I paid in pounds sterling, but all the four volumes did cost the rough equivalent of one hundred and fifty dollars. That’s if my memory serves me.

Only an enthusiastic student of the Gettysburg statistics would pay such a sum, but for me the set is invaluable and I cherish it as a prized addition to my shelves.

I enjoyed personal correspondence with John over a couple of years, and he treated me with kindness.

For some reason, he has not been given the credit that I think he deserves for his work.

Yes, he’s produced some first rate studies of the Union record at Gettysburg - These Honored Dead - containing the details of more than five thousand killed or mortally wounded federal casualties of the battle. This too is a must have for the likes of me.

There has been at least one additional volume, and the one I possess has been updated.

John used to work in tandem with David G Martin, in earlier studies of the battle’s numbers and losses.

I opine that the work John produced by himself is better and more useful as source material.

I take your point about my failure to pitch the numbers engaged alongside the casualties, but while I’m willing and able to do so, I’m reluctant to subject my friends to an excess of data : sometimes I feel that less is more, and I thought I made the point succinctly by reckoning that North Carolina provided twenty per cent of Lee’s army at Gettysburg, but sustained thirty per cent of its entire loss in killed, which is actually quite a grotesque record of disproportionate bloodshed.

Please ask me to submit some more elaborate details of the figures : I’ll be happy to oblige.

Regards, Phil

Phil, everything you post is of the greatest interest to me. I'll keep posting articles from North Carolina concerning their losses at Gettysburg.

Larry

© 2022 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC