MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Little Meadows PA USA
7-15-1863
7/15/2022 7:25:01 PM
From the Macon Telegraph. Macon GA. July 15, 1863.

From the Brookeville Republican. Brookeville PA. July 15, 1863.

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Phil Andrade
London  UK
7-15-1863
7/16/2022 3:49:01 AM
Another compelling newspaper article from Georgia, Larry.

Eye catching accuracy in estimation of enemy loss : headline figure of 25,000, very close to the true total of 23,000.

Obviously understating the confederate casualties : reckoned on 12,000 , while the real figure was 24,000.

A convincing rendition of the huge fight made by Hood and McLaws on the afternoon of Day Two : capturing 1,500 Union prisoners, inflicting immense loss , but suffering heavily themselves. A very fair and accurate assessment : I’m of the opinion that, had the authors been appraised of the actual extent of the southern loss by the end of the battle, they would have revealed it to the readership.

Georgia at Gettysburg brings to mind Gordon’s Brigade, that was stunningly successful on the first day : a significant contribution by Wofford’s command in the battle for the Union right on that tremendous second day of battle, and, above all, the epic struggle of Rans Wright’s Georgians that afternoon and evening, with another forlorn attempt on Day Three. This was closely rivalled by the sacrifice of Tige Anderson’s brigade, and Benning’s, too, made a good account of itself.

If there were others, forgive me if I’ve failed to cite them.

Brave people deserve brave and candid newspaper reports, and in this case it’s apparent that the folks were well served.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
7-15-1863
7/16/2022 10:11:41 AM
Hi Larry,

I noticed that above the article it said from the Savannah Republican not the Macon News? I looked up the history of the Savannah Republican, & It's quite changeable!? Goes back to 1802, with different owners involved, different names, ect., Until 1868, just after the Civil War!? You wonder if it disappeared as the Savannah Republican because Republican was a bad name down South with the Southern Democratic Party being in power!? I do love Savannah, going there every winter in the last several years!!

Anymore on this Newspaper?? Anyone?
Thanks,
MD
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

© 2022 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC