MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Little Meadows PA USA
North Carolina pays the butchers' bill.
7/20/2021 4:59:25 PM
From the Spirit Of the Age. Raleigh North Carolina. July 20 1863 The truth is starting to sink in.

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Phil Andrade
London  UK
7/21/2021 3:20:28 AM
Larry,

Yes, the truth was sinking in, and there was no attempt by this newspaper to conceal it : the reporting is as informative and candid as could be hoped for. Significantly, there was no opinion ventured as to the strategy of Lee’s foray, or the tactics that produced these appalling casualty lists.

The extent to which the available reports understated the reality was also hinted at.

The experience of North Carolina at Gettysburg was almost grotesque : just over twenty per cent of all the confederate soldiers who fought in the battle were from that sate ; but 28.7% of all the rebel killed or died from wounds were North Carolinian. This preponderance must have aroused comment. It might even have been perceived as scandalous .

The counterpart for the Yankees was New York. Nearly 26% of all the AOP soldiers at Gettysburg were from the Empire State : yet New York accounted for 29% of all the killed or mortally wounded from the Union army at Gettysburg.

In both states, there was a disproportionate burden of loss of life at Gettysburg, with the North Carolina record being even more disparate than that of New York.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows PA USA
7/21/2021 5:52:34 AM
My opinion is the loss's taken by NY regiments at Gettysburg can be directly tied to the riots that swept NY City. Publishing names of men killed, wounded and missing at Gettysburg next to the names of drafted men provided the ignition source for the anti war, anti emancipation and anti Lincoln fuel that had been building up.

Larry.
Dick Evick
Waco TX USA
7/21/2021 10:46:14 AM
Larry, am I correct in assuming most of the N.C. casualties were from Iverson's command?

Dick.
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows PA USA
7/21/2021 12:10:41 PM
Quote:
Larry, am I correct in assuming most of the N.C. casualties were from Iverson's command?

Dick.

It would seem probable that Iverson and Daniel's brigades would account for a large amount of NC loss's. I'll have to dig out a reference to verify that.
Larry
Phil Andrade
London  UK
7/21/2021 2:15:16 PM
Dick and Larry,

Fewer than twelve per cent of all the North Carolina soldiers who were killed or mortally wounded at Gettysburg were from Iverson’s Brigade.

The notorious feature of that unit’s loss was the manner in which it was inflicted : a sudden , scything blast of fire at point blank range which slaughtered a large number in a few horrific moments.

One poor tarheel soldier had wrapped his head with a white bandana to cope with the heat, and when his corpse was gathered for burial the bandana had twelve bullet holes in it. It was only that bandana that was holding his head together.

The dead from that brigade were interred in some pits in Forney’s Field, named after the farmer who owned it. In the 1870s, thousands of rebel dead were exhumed and sent south, and those that were recovered from Forney’s field left a residue of lead in those pits : so riddled had the men of Iverson’s command been in their ordeal. Folklore has it that, to this day, there is an intense eerie atmosphere in this area. The shock lingers.

The North Carolina regiments of Pettigrew’s brigade suffered even heavier loss of life.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Dick Evick
Waco TX USA
7/22/2021 10:25:43 AM
There's an excellent article in one of the early Gettysburg Magazines titled "The Death of Iverson's Brigade". I'll have to dig it out.

Thanks Phil.

Dick.

© 2021 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC