MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Little Meadows PA USA
June 29, 1863
6/29/2021 6:15:21 AM

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Gregory C. White
Canton GA USA
June 29, 1863
6/29/2021 9:23:28 AM
Interesting that this Northern paper admitted who was responsible for torching the bridge
over the Susquehanna @ Wrightsville, as Gordon's brigade was later blamed for the fire and
ensuing destruction of buildings along the river. Prevented from seizing the bridge, Gordon's
brigade formed a bucket brigade and saved Wrightsville from further damage. Ironically, many
of Gordon's men (26th GA) were from Darien, Georgia which was looted and burned to the ground
just a few days earlier by the 54th Massachusetts.

The "safety committee" of York abandoned the huge American flag as it was lowered by Col.
Clement A. Evans (31st GA) and became a war souvenir.

Best Regards,

Greg
“Any society which suppresses the heritage of its conquered minorities, prevent their history, and denies them their symbols, has sown the seeds of its destruction.” Sir William Wallace, 1280 A.D.
morris crumley
Dunwoody GA USA
June 29, 1863
6/30/2021 8:41:56 AM
What is interesting to me in reading these contemporary newspapers is that one can see in these northern publications what the Army of the Potomac was up against while campaigning in Virginia. The news reporters, the locals, everyone making reports of any and all troop movements....in essence....spies for the defenders.

Greg, I spent a lot of years in and around Darien fishing for reds. A nice little shrimping hamlet.

Respects, Morris
"You are a $70, red-wool, pure quill military genius, or the biggest damn fool in northern Mexico."
Gregory C. White
Canton GA USA
June 29, 1863
6/30/2021 9:30:46 AM
Quote:
What is interesting to me in reading these contemporary newspapers is that one can see in these northern publications what the Army of the Potomac was up against while campaigning in Virginia. The news reporters, the locals, everyone making reports of any and all troop movements....in essence....spies for the defenders.

Greg, I spent a lot of years in and around Darien fishing for reds. A nice little shrimping hamlet.

Respects, Morris

Morris,

I've been to St. Mary's, Brunswick, Richmond Hill, etc., along the beautiful
Georgia coast, but I've yet to visit Darien. I've read good things about it;
it appears to be a quaint, picturesque fishing hamlet. Sounds like a trip come
fall or winter!

Never understood why it was burned to the ground. It had no military or
strategic importance.

Glad to see your post. Its been awhile.

Best Regards,

Greg
“Any society which suppresses the heritage of its conquered minorities, prevent their history, and denies them their symbols, has sown the seeds of its destruction.” Sir William Wallace, 1280 A.D.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
June 29, 1863
6/30/2021 9:56:51 AM
Hey guys,

In my annual winter travels to SE US, I have visited all those great historical areas in Georgia. St Marys was really cool, we stayed at the historic, & haunted Riverview Hotel, later taking a ferry to beautiful, historic Cumberland Island. Brunswick was also picturesque, stayed on Jeykal Island, got one of the best meals I've ever had their?Richmond hill was also very historic, Henry Ford had a place there, we only drove through Darien, but lots of great history around that whole area, forts, battlefields, antibellum homes, ya gotta love the coast of Georgia, Savannah is probably our #1 stop! y'all love us, Yankees with money!!!

Hope to visit again this year,
Regards,
MD
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Gregory C. White
Canton GA USA
June 29, 1863
6/30/2021 4:02:08 PM
Quote:
Hey guys,

In my annual winter travels to SE US, I have visited all those great historical areas in Georgia. St Marys was really cool, we stayed at the historic, & haunted Riverview Hotel, later taking a ferry to beautiful, historic Cumberland Island. Brunswick was also picturesque, stayed on Jeykal Island, got one of the best meals I've ever had their?Richmond hill was also very historic, Henry Ford had a place there, we only drove through Darien, but lots of great history around that whole area, forts, battlefields, antibellum homes, ya gotta love the coast of Georgia, Savannah is probably our #1 stop! y'all love us, Yankees with money!!!

Hope to visit again this year,
Regards,
MD

MD,

Since this is a Gettysburg forum, the next time you visit Savannah, be sure to go to
Laurel Grove Cemetery. It has a "Gettysburg Plot", where many of the Georgia dead
from Gettysburg were disinterred and brought home to Georgia in 1871. Very sobering.

Greg
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
June 29, 1863
7/2/2021 9:59:44 AM
Hi Greg,

Yes, there is a lot of Civil War, & very old head stones in the area, It's very enlightening to walk through these Cemeteries. Visited Bonaventure, A couple of church cemeteries in Charleston, Christ's Church Cemetery, in Georgia's Golden Isles, the one in the historical area of Savannah! It feels both erie, & solemn to visit them, but learning history at the same time! I'll try & check out Laurel Grove next time?

Sad to see soldiers who gave their all,
& paid the ultimate price!?
Dave
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

© 2022 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC