(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Author
Little Meadows
PA USA
Died at Gettysburg
Posted on: 9/9/2020 2:41:10 PM

From the Edgefield Advertiser. Edgefield South Carolina. September 9, 1863

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
morris crumley
Dunwoody
GA USA
Died at Gettysburg
Posted on: 9/10/2020 9:52:05 AM

Strange how affecting it is to add a story and a "face" to the men who died....not just numbers, or just a name, on a casualty list.

Respects, Morris
"You are a $70, red-wool, pure quill military genius, or the biggest damn fool in northern Mexico."
Phil Andrade
London
 UK
Died at Gettysburg
Posted on: 9/11/2020 12:34:22 PM

Morris,

Of all the states that fought, none committed so fervently as South Carolina, if the official death count is anything to go by.

That pertains to the war as a whole, rather than Gettysburg, which was more catastrophic for North Carolina than it was for its southern counterpart.

That said, two SC brigades took fearful punishment in the battle : Perrin’s, on Day One, and Kershaw’s , on Day Two.

I can’t remember other SC units that were conspicuous for their sacrifice at Gettysburg, but I’m away from my books and might be making a bad omission here.

But....how right you are ! My fascination about the numbers is one thing : but when you read these accounts of such fine, decent and beloved men suffering and dying, and the dear families left bereft, it makes you reflect on the heartbreaking trauma of it all.

Regards, Phil

"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

© 2020 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC