MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:    Password:

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Author
Little Meadows
PA USA
The real cause of desertion
Posted on: 9/8/2020 11:13:31 AM

Clipped from the Semi Weekly Standard. Raleigh North Carolina. September 8, 1863.
Maybe the horrific loss's suffered by NC troops at Gettysburg had a little to do with it also?

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Phil Andrade
London
 UK
Posted on: 9/8/2020 5:34:01 PM

Larry,

North Carolina suffered disproportionately heavy loss of life in the war : at Gettysburg especially .

The same might be said of New York, and I have to assume that NY and NC were counterparts at Gettysburg in this respect.

The riots in NYC were surely attributable in some degree to the impact of heavy casualties at Gettysburg.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Gregory C. White
Canton
GA USA
Posted on: 9/8/2020 9:03:30 PM

I believe it was in Raleigh that there were food riots in September 1863.

Greg
"I do not believe that any man can adequately appreciate the world of to-day unless he has some knowledge of...[and] some feeling for...the history of the world of the past." Theodore Roosevelt
Phil Andrade
London
 UK
Posted on: 9/9/2020 8:46:25 AM

Scope for research here, I reckon.

I wonder if, for NC, Gettysburg was a watershed in terms of the casualty rates.

Perhaps, thereafter, NC soldiers were more circumspect about putting themselves in harm's way.

When circumstances allow, I'll study the best figures I have for the Overland battles of May-June '64, and see how the NC record compares with that of Gettysburg.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

© 2020 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC