User:    Password:

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Author
Little Meadows
PA USA
June 29, 1863
Posted on: 6/29/2020 5:56:50 AM

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA
June 29, 1863
Posted on: 6/30/2020 6:40:32 PM

Larry,

I see that the article talks about Meade replacing Fighting Joe Hooker, prior to commanding the AoP at Gettysburg, just what was that Google Eyed Snapping Turtles claim to fame or resume like, for Lincoln to put him in charge??

Anyone?
MD

Thanks again for the posts!

BTW how long did it take for the actual news report from Gettysburg to reach print?

Also how many news reporters approxamately would cover a major battle like this??
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows
PA USA
June 29, 1863
Posted on: 6/30/2020 7:00:47 PM

Probably Meade's biggest plus was he hadn't been involved in any of the political squabbles and in fighting that marked the AOP under McClellan and Burnside.

Some reporters with AOP were remarkable how fast and accurate they could send reports to their respective newspapers and get it in print. Totally inaccurate and false news could travel just as fast.

Glad you enjoy this day by day reporting.
Larry
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Dick Evick
Waco
TX USA
June 29, 1863
Posted on: 7/1/2020 10:14:18 AM

with telegraph lines still in place reporters could get news out quickly but conflicting reports verify lack of reliable intel on Confederate movements.

Dick.

© 2020 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC