User:    Password:

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Author
Little Meadows
PA USA

A Touching Incident
Posted on: 11/13/2019 6:42:31 AM

The Times-Democrat. New Orleans, Louisiana. November 13th, 1863

I have tried in vain to identify this soldier with no results. If anyone has seen this story before and knows who this soldier is please share.

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Phil Andrade
London
 UK

A Touching Incident
Posted on: 11/13/2019 7:44:30 AM

There should be reference to this soldier in Busey’s study.

Sad to say, I’m traveling to a funeral right now : but on my return I will see if anything comes to light.

Louisiana men fought in the Cemetery Hill sector, didn’t they ?

Regards, Phil

"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Phil Andrade
London
 UK

A Touching Incident
Posted on: 11/13/2019 12:21:54 PM

Larry,

No Wellerford is listed in the twenty four thousand names of Confederate casualties at Gettysburg.

There could, of course, be a typo : you’ll have encountered many of these, I’m sure.

I’ll browse through and see if I can find similar names from Louisiana , but, on the face of it, this story doesn’t seem to have such a sad ending.

Let’s hope so !

Regards, Phil

"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Phil Andrade
London
 UK

A Touching Incident
Posted on: 11/14/2019 5:54:48 AM

True to my promise, I investigated this name and its closely similar variants in the lists in Busey, and nothing turned up.

I have a suspicion, though. Forgive me if it’s wide of the mark.

This story rather closely resembles that of Sergeant Amos Humiston, a yankee who was killed on Day One at Gettysburg. His poignant family mementoes were found on the field and there was a public interest in the North regarding the desperately sad circumstances of his fate, and that of his family. This became a news story in the month before the Louisiana story was published : I’m wondering whether this was a propaganda exercise to promulgate the view that southern soldiers, too, had loving families and their share of tenderness in their home lives.

I must say, though, that my trawl through the Louisiana names was quite rewarding : what a cosmopolitan mix of influences....a lot of adventurers and a fair sprinkling of rascals, I daresay !

Henry Morton Stanley comes to mind as an example of the eclectic array of waifs and strays.

Looking forward to more discussions, Larry !

Regards, Phil
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows
PA USA

A Touching Incident
Posted on: 11/14/2019 6:30:23 AM

Hi Phil. I searched every source I know to find this name and came up dry. I tried every variation of spelling and other Southern states with no results. I can't say for sure if this story is a fabrication or has some truth. Certainly though there were many true instances of this scenario. Glad you enjoyed this post.

Best regards, Larry
Phil Andrade
London
 UK

A Touching Incident
Posted on: 11/14/2019 9:37:30 AM

Larry,

The strength of your threads lies in their peculiar quality of engaging both the intellect and the emotions : a potent mix in the appeal of history.

Regards, Phil

John R. Price
Wilkes-Barre
PA USA

A Touching Incident
Posted on: 11/14/2019 3:16:50 PM

Larry I found 3 Wellerford's that served in the Confederate Armies and I'm sure of 1 that was at Gettysburg. 1 in the 8th Texas, 1 in the 18th Miss and 1 that serves in a NC inf reg and transfer to a NC cav reg at some point and both saw service with the ANVA. Can't find the date of transfer.

Edit There was also a Wullerford
A battle long forgotten by our country in a war never understood by our country. "to satisfy our endless needs and justify our bloody deeds, in the name of destiny and in the name of God"
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows
PA USA

A Touching Incident
Posted on: 11/14/2019 4:18:31 PM

Thanks John. At least we know now the story may have some merit.

Larry
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows
PA USA

A Touching Incident
Posted on: 11/14/2019 4:48:05 PM

The earliest mention I could find of this incident was in the Star and Enterprise of Newville PA. Published date was August 6, 1863.

Larry
scoucer
Berlin
 Germany

A Touching Incident
Posted on: 11/14/2019 5:55:54 PM

Quote:
I must say, though, that my trawl through the Louisiana names was quite rewarding : what a cosmopolitan mix of influences....a lot of adventurers and a fair sprinkling of rascals, I daresay !

Regards, Phil

Major Roberdeau Wheat's 1st Louisiana Special Battalion, "Wheat's Tigers". Recruited in New Orleans. It was said of them that if there were no Yankees to fight then they would fight with the next Confederate regiment. And if there was no next Confederate regiment they would fight with each other.

Trevor
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.
Phil Andrade
London
 UK

A Touching Incident
Posted on: 11/15/2019 3:26:54 AM

The story about the items is, I believe, true : maybe Wellerford survived unscathed, and in the course of the battle, lost his precious letter.

Battlefields are littered with discarded papers, and not all of them belong to wounded or dying men, or to prisoners of war.

I still think that there is a contrived - or choreographed - aspect to the article : propaganda is not a word I should have used, but bearing in mind the impact of the Humiston story in the North, it seems plausible to me that the southerners didn’t want the Northern home front to steal a march in depicting the humanity of their soldiers. Public support might have started to wane in the late months of 1863, and anything that moved the folks at home to rally to the support of their warriors was a useful part of the war effort. Poignant vignettes such as this one had a role to play.

Regards, Phil
Phil Andrade
London
 UK

A Touching Incident
Posted on: 11/15/2019 4:00:52 AM

Quote:
The earliest mention I could find of this incident was in the Star and Enterprise of Newville PA. Published date was August 6, 1863.

Larry

Larry,

Please would you tell us how the PA newspaper described this ?

Was it a tender testimony to the humanity of the southern foe ; or a cautionary tale to dissuade rebels from fighting the Union, let alone from invading PA soil ?

Regards, Phil
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows
PA USA

A Touching Incident
Posted on: 11/15/2019 6:29:46 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Larry

Larry,

Please would you tell us how the PA newspaper described this ?

Was it a tender testimony to the humanity of the southern foe ; or a cautionary tale to dissuade rebels from fighting the Union, let alone from invading PA soil ?

Regards, Phil

Hi Phil. The article as presented in the PA newspaper was identical to the article I posted. No lead in, no details, no hint as to the origin of the story. It was copied exact by many papers, North and South.
Larry
John R. Price
Wilkes-Barre
PA USA

A Touching Incident
Posted on: 11/15/2019 8:10:58 AM

Larry,

In the 1870 Census there is a extended family of Wellerford in Wayland Springs Tenn but all the pre-war places of birth are listed as Alabama. There are 4 males that would have been of military age during the war.
A battle long forgotten by our country in a war never understood by our country. "to satisfy our endless needs and justify our bloody deeds, in the name of destiny and in the name of God"
Phil Andrade
London
 UK

A Touching Incident
Posted on: 11/15/2019 8:17:29 AM

Thanks, Larry.

You reveal that this article was copied exactly and distributed through North and South.

That might well endorse my suspicion that this became a popular theme : the impact on home front morale and resolve being a crucial aspect.

Regards, Phil

© 2019 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC