(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Author
Little Meadows
PA USA

Heroic women
Posted on: 11/13/2019 6:26:20 AM

From the Pittsburgh Daily Commercial. November 13, 1863

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Phil Andrade
London
 UK

Heroic women
Posted on: 11/13/2019 7:49:10 AM

You have to wonder, don’t you, at the way such girls would have been treated in other civil wars that have not displayed the restraint that was exercised in America ?

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA

Heroic women
Posted on: 11/13/2019 3:23:58 PM

Hi Larry,

I like how the girls referred to traitors in their area as "Vallandighams", after that traitor politician from Ohio!?

BTW I like how your posting CW articles all the time instead of just those near the Gettysburg Battle time-frame!

Keep up the good work!

Thanks,
MD
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows
PA USA

Heroic women
Posted on: 11/14/2019 6:33:06 AM

Hi M.D. With winter here and shorter daylight hours I have time to browse a lot old newspapers for Gettysburg related articles.
Glad you're enjoying them.

Best regards, Larry
Phil Andrade
London
 UK

Heroic women
Posted on: 11/14/2019 7:28:26 AM

Larry,

Searching for the elusive Louisianan Wellerford, I came across something that can be authenticated, and which combines the themes of poignant tales with that of heroic women.

Captain Louis A Cormier, 6th La Infantry, mortally wounded during the action at Cemetery Hill 2 July ....and knowing the wound to be mortal, he cultivated the attention of the local Gettysburg ladies, told them he knew he had only hours to live and requested their presence “ to see him die”. About 12PM 3 July, the ladies gathered and the captain told them of his mother and sister back home and each woman kissed him during his final moments.

What a remarkable story of tenderness and mutual regard in a war conspicuous for terrible bloodshed !

It’s one of the reasons that I like to study the American Civil War : the civilised, restrained and fundamentally decent conduct that prevailed. Other civil wars tend to be essentially atrocious. Mind you, I must not be complacent about the darker side of the story.....the geurilla warfare in the trans Mississippi , and the killing of black soldiers who were refused quarter, not to mention the fate of prisoners who were able to surrender.

But it’s stories like the one that I’ve cited that grip my imagination .

Source : Confederate Casualties at Gettysburg , John and Travis Busey, Volume 1, page 561.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Sherri
Lexington
KY USA

Heroic women
Posted on: 11/14/2019 1:00:12 PM

I love the human interest side to the Battle of Gettysburg so the articles are always so nice to read. Thanks Larry for always sharing.
Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like no one's watching and live like it's heaven here on earth....Mark Twain Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see...Mark Twain
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows
PA USA

Heroic women
Posted on: 11/16/2019 6:08:52 AM

Quote:
I love the human interest side to the Battle of Gettysburg so the articles are always so nice to read. Thanks Larry for always sharing.

Sherri, glad you enjoy these posts. Do you still go to Gettysburg?

Larry
Brian Grafton
Victoria
BC Canada

Heroic women
Posted on: 11/16/2019 8:21:44 PM

Oh my! what a wonderful, filtered, genteel recording of the bravery and honour of a couple of gutsy young women. And – not to denigrade them in any way – wouldn't it be nice to know their birth names, rather than just the birth name of their father.

I haven't jumped in here to naysay Larry's story, and I'm aware of how much naming depended on the patriarch. There is, nonetheless, something bizarre about two young heroic women who remain unnamed.

I'd love to have met these young women. They may have been innocent enough not to realize the physical danger they were in. But they were gutsy young innocents prepared to put their faith and belief to the test under pressure. Wonderful story!

Cheers
bg

PS: Sherri! Are you the Sherri I knew years ago on MHO? Good to see you commenting, and sorry to have lost track of you.

B
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly. "The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.
Sherri
Lexington
KY USA

Heroic women
Posted on: 11/20/2019 9:40:11 AM

Yes, Larry, I still go to Gettysburg. It will always have a place in my heart. I love it there.

Brian, it is the Sherri from long ago. Glad to be back in touch with the board
Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like no one's watching and live like it's heaven here on earth....Mark Twain Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see...Mark Twain
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA

Heroic women
Posted on: 11/20/2019 11:13:27 AM

Sherry,

I second that, good to hear from you again.

MD
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows
PA USA

Heroic women
Posted on: 11/20/2019 2:42:21 PM

Quote:
Yes, Larry, I still go to Gettysburg. It will always have a place in my heart. I love it there.

Brian, it is the Sherri from long ago. Glad to be back in touch with the board

You still owe me a beer from a tour many years ago. The interest is piling up big time.

Larry

© 2019 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC