MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:    Password:

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Author
Little Meadows
PA USA

The Hero's Parting
Posted on: 9/8/2019 8:21:36 PM

Not certain but I believe there is a strong possibly that the article is about 1st Lieut James J. Griffith.
James J. Griffith

Residence Philadelphia PA;
Enlisted on 8/10/1861 as a 1st Lieutenant.

On 8/10/1861 he was commissioned into "I" Co. PA 72nd Infantry
He was discharged for promotion on 4/30/1863

On 4/30/1863 he was commissioned into
US Volunteers Aide-De-Camp
He died of wounds on 7/10/1863 at Philadelphia, PA
----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Phil Andrade
London
 UK

The Hero's Parting
Posted on: 9/9/2019 3:23:32 AM

Yes, Larry....the remarkable thing here is that he was wounded on the fifth of July while on a reconnaissance with Howard’s bodyguard. How many Gettysburg fatalities are attributed to the fifth day of the battle ?

The official dates of the battle are 1 -4 July , and even on the fourth, I doubt that there were more than a couple of dozen men killed.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows
PA USA

The Hero's Parting
Posted on: 9/9/2019 6:22:08 AM

Photo of 1st Lieut. James J. Griffith.

"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Phil Andrade
London
 UK

The Hero's Parting
Posted on: 9/9/2019 3:40:40 PM

That's quite a moving picture : you can sense the faith, conviction and devotion to duty.

General OOH comforts Lt. JJG, bound together in their love of JC.

That’s not flippancy on my part ; quite a heartfelt reaction.

All these recitals of the casualty statistics that I keep pitching : the importance of their Christian faith is too easily overlooked as we try and assess the whys and wherefores of their willingness to put their lives on the line.

Edit : Looking at the picture of poor Griffith, I’m bound to observe that he looks uncannily like Howard ...so much so, that I wonder if there was an element of hero worship among the General’s staff, who tried to copy him. Adulation and religious fervour go hand in hand.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

© 2019 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC