User:    Password:

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Author
Little Meadows
PA USA

From the Wisconsin sharpshooters
Posted on: 9/3/2019 8:09:47 AM

Good first hand account of the U.S.S.S. at Gettysburg
https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn85033078/1863-09-03/ed-1/seq-2/#date1=09%2F03%2F1863&index=0&rows=20&searc
----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Phil Andrade
London
 UK

Posted on: 9/3/2019 3:00:16 PM

Larry,

This fails to open up ; please could you re submit so that the article shows as it does in your other posts ?

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows
PA USA

Posted on: 9/5/2019 6:48:38 AM

This version should be better.

"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Phil Andrade
London
 UK

Posted on: 9/5/2019 7:26:08 AM

Many thanks, Larry !

That’s excellent : no hyperbole ; indeed , quite understated, and all the more full of impact thereby.

Moving tribute to the dead, with heartfelt renditions as to their humour and humanity.

Interesting vignettes about the actual combat, too. Note the reference to three hundred yards range : this is long range for black powder warfare, when , despite rifling, most killing was done at the old smoothbore range.
This is where the sharpshooter came into his own.

What are we to make of the account of the poor fella who was “ treed” ?

Presumably, a plucky rebel counterpart who managed to get off three rounds before he fell riddled, with the flayed bark of the tree testifying to the storm of lead that came his way.

Regards, Phil

"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA

Posted on: 9/6/2019 9:04:35 AM

Here is a nice take on Union Sharp-shooters at Gettysburg!?

[Read More]

[Read More]

[Read More]

Comments?
MD
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
scoucer
Berlin
 Germany

Posted on: 9/6/2019 1:50:26 PM

I have always had an interest in Co. A of the 1st U.S. Sharpshooters because they were mostly Swiss recruited by Captain Caspar Trepp. Many of whom travelled from Switzerland to volunteer. Found this out as I was living in Switzerland. Many returned after the war.

Trevor
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.
Gregory C. White
Canton
GA USA

Posted on: 9/6/2019 2:13:50 PM

Quote:
I have always had an interest in Co. A of the 1st U.S. Sharpshooters because they were mostly Swiss recruited by Captain Caspar Trepp. Many of whom travelled from Switzerland to volunteer. Found this out as I was living in Switzerland. Many returned after the war.

Trevor

Emil Frey was with the 82nd Illinois; captured @ Gettysburg; and later was President of Switzerland !

Greg
"I do not believe that any man can adequately appreciate the world of to-day unless he has some knowledge of...[and] some feeling for...the history of the world of the past." Theodore Roosevelt
scoucer
Berlin
 Germany

Posted on: 9/10/2019 4:36:12 PM

Yes Greg. I lived in Basel where the Frey family lived ( they still do - they have a car selling company - Emile Frey AG ). I´ve visited the family house. I´ll have to dig up some photos. The Frey family were intense supporters of the 48/49 revolutions so they took in many fleeing over the border. This included future ACW commanders like Ludwig (Louis) Blenker, Carl Schultz, Fritz Siegel and Frederick (Friedrich ) Hecker.

It was a surprise to find out that a city in Switzerland had such a connection to the ACW. Basel even had a 82nd Illinois re-enacter group.

Trevor
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.

© 2019 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC