MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:    Password:

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Author
Little Meadows
PA USA

Casulties of the 14th South Carolina Volunteers
Posted on: 8/5/2019 7:46:26 PM

One has to question how many of those listed as severely wounded died of those wounds.
----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Phil Andrade
London
 UK

Posted on: 8/6/2019 3:43:55 AM

Larry,

Company B reported 21 wounded ; of these , five would die.

Company K reported 29 wounded ; of these, three would die.

Eight out of fifty : a sixteen per cent mortality.

The regiment was part of Perrin’s brigade.

This command was successful on Day One, albeit it at bloody cost.

Given time and opportunity, I could use my Busey book to investigate the names and fate of the wounded as submitted in those two company reports.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Phil Andrade
London
 UK

Posted on: 8/6/2019 4:57:35 AM

A brief moment beckons : here we go with Busey and Son !

First observation : I was wrong to attribute all these casualties to Day one. A significant number of Day three entries tells us that we must remember that, even if not engaged in the principal actions, units were still under fire at the periphery.

Company B : poor Gilford Gilder, left wounded in enemy hands, died of bullet wounds at DeCamp General Hospital on David’s Island, NY, 2 August 1863. John Brown (!) also died of wounds in Federal hands. Lieutenant Henry Rauch was also left wounded on the field and was “ left in the hands of the enemy “. He , too, perished. Marion Snelgrove, wounded in the groin , did not survive. Thomas Miller died of his wounds at an unspecified time and place after being exchanged from the same hospital that Gilford Gilder died in.

Company K : J.L.Doby, severely wounded in the thigh, died of his wounds 12 July. Allen King, wounded left arm (amputated), died 10 July.

In that same NY hospital mentioned above was A.B.Adams, severely wounded in the back. He died of his wounds on 5 August.

Editing : How capricious the fate of the wounded could be ! A seemingly trivial wound, and sepsis develops, with fatal consequences.....and yet wounds that were truly appalling were survived.

Let me point out that Perrin's brigade, with 174 killed or mortally wounded, almost exactly matched the fatality in Kemper’s brigade of Pickett’s command, that lost 175 killed or died from wounds. The difference in one respect was striking : the South Carolinian brigade was able to account for nearly all its killed, and the folks at home were given the story, as Larry’s snippet of casualties in two companies of the 14th regiment shows us. The repulse of Pickett’s division did not afford this meticulous rendition. Barely half of the men in Kemper’s brigade who were killed in action were posted as such ; the balance were returned as “ missing”. In Perrin’s brigade, all but three of the men killed outright had their fate recorded. Thus the different exigencies of battle.

Regards, Phil

"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

© 2019 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC