User:    Password:

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Author

PA USA

July 6, 1863
Posted on: 7/6/2019 7:01:28 AM

Reporting at it's best. July 6, 1863

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA

July 6, 1863
Posted on: 7/7/2019 8:06:11 AM

Hi Larry,

Great articles, the ones on Vicksburg, really portray that the Union Navy controlling the Mississippi, played a big part in the victory! Lots of red white and blue flying after these victories! Perhaps in coming articles you might give us a look into what happened to all of the CSA prisoners captured in early July 1863, I’m sure some of the contemporary newspapers have suggestions?

MD
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Larry Purtell
Muskegon, Michigan
PA USA

July 6, 1863
Posted on: 7/7/2019 3:45:26 PM

Quote:
Hi Larry,

Great articles, the ones on Vicksburg, really portray that the Union Navy controlling the Mississippi, played a big part in the victory! Lots of red white and blue flying after these victories! Perhaps in coming articles you might give us a look into what happened to all of the CSA prisoners captured in early July 1863, I’m sure some of the contemporary newspapers have suggestions?

MD

Hi M.D. As time permits I will see what is available concerning ANV prisoners.

Larry
Larry Purtell
Muskegon, Michigan
PA USA

July 6, 1863
Posted on: 7/7/2019 4:59:08 PM

Quote:
Hi Larry,

MD

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA

July 6, 1863
Posted on: 7/8/2019 7:31:46 AM

Thanks Larry, for such a quick response to my request, for news on the plight of Confederate Prisoners, captured at Gettysburg!

Here is an interesting article on a Union Prison Camp created after Gettysburg! It doesn't sound like a vacation spot!?

[Read More]

BTW I invite all CW enthusiasts from MHO to check out this article, It's a real eye opener! Comments?

[Read More]

BTW Larry, Really enjoying your news of the times, this year!

Regards,
MD

"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Dick Evick
Waco
TX USA

July 6, 1863
Posted on: 7/8/2019 1:00:14 PM

Being a P.O.W on either side must have been a harrowing experience.

Dick.
Larry Purtell
Waco
PA USA

July 6, 1863
Posted on: 7/10/2019 6:33:58 AM

Quote:
Being a P.O.W on either side must have been a harrowing experience.

Dick.

Most likely a soldier was better off on the firing line than a POW camp.

Larry
Phil Andrade
London
PA UK

July 6, 1863
Posted on: 7/10/2019 7:42:46 AM

The most authoritative research now available, conducted by John Busey and his son, Travis, reveals that, of 4,882 confederate soldiers who were captured unwounded at Gettysburg, 1,159 (23.7%) perished in captivity. In addition, 1,461 of the 7,581 wounded rebel prisoners died from their wounds whilst they were in yankee hands. The remarkable thing here - unless I've made an error in my interpretation of Busey's tabulations - is that the wounded prisoners fared better than their unwounded counterparts : just under one if five of the wounded PoWs died, compared with nearly one in four of the unwounded !

The result of immediate assistance being rendered to the wounded foe, perhaps, while those taken unscathed were abandoned to fare as they might ? I wonder if the unwounded prisoners were treated with a degree of callousness that proved fatal. OTOH, it's important to remember that army life was hazardous and squalid at the best of times in those days, and we have to countenance the possibility - and maybe the probability - that many of those unwounded prisoners who died in captivity would have died even if they had not been taken prisoner.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA

July 6, 1863
Posted on: 7/10/2019 2:25:03 PM

Hi Phil,

That is a sad commentary, on the grudges held by the AoP, against the CSA prisoners, that a greater percentage of healthy men died in prison, as opposed to wounded! You know these are men, who had families, fighting for a cause they believed in, to deliberately try to inflict pain, & starvation is really unacceptable!? {BTW I am sure that Union POW were also abused!?} But the South could barely & a lot of the time not supply their own troops with food! Other than Commander Wurtz at Andersonville, were any, especially Union Wardens sited for in-humane treatment??

I recently visited Johnson's Island Confederate Prison Camp, & Cemetery, It had to be brutal on Southern boys! I believe officers captured at Gettysburg were brought there among others!?

[Read More]

[Read More]

Regards,
MD

© 2019 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC